Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been keeping my eyes open for a good candidate to build a straight axle street freak style car and last night this one kind of fell into my lap! Original paint car in reasonable shape that someone installed a straight axle to the rolling and steering stage and lost interest. It's not mint but it's just exactly what I want. Woohoo!

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Love the straight axle gen 1s! guy near me had a 64 for sale for about a year started at $20k then 17 then 15, Im told he got around 13 for it. If I had the garage space Id have bought it at 17... too cool! Keep us updated on your '65!

·
13,462 Posts
Nice find, Bob. Keep us up to date on your progress. Is it a Canadian car?

The other Bob in B.C.

·
Premium Member
1968 Chevy II Nova, Central Arkansas
1,974 Posts
How nice to find the perfect project. Good luck with it. Look forward to seeing the progress on this one.

·
Super Moderator
3,701 Posts
Factory two tone car, at least by appearance. It'll make a nice old school car. What's going under the hood?

·
Registered
65 Super Sport
238 Posts
Been keeping my eyes open for a good candidate to build a straight axle street freak style car and last night this one kind of fell into my lap! Original paint car in reasonable shape that someone installed a straight axle to the rolling and steering stage and lost interest. It's not mint but it's just exactly what I want. Woohoo!
Good score man. Keep us up to date on your progress.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Factory two tone car, at least by appearance. It'll make a nice old school car. What's going under the hood?
Yes factory two tone. Has blue interior, very dusty sitting for many years.
106339224_1935216419948920_2864802119890644015_n.jpg

The plan is to run this forged piston 11:1 327 with more era-correct pulleys and white coated headers
IMG_2712.JPG

·
Super Moderator
3,701 Posts
Well, I hope you have enough carburetion for the small block there. PLEASE keep us up to date on your progress. You are embarking down a fun road that a lot of drag racers before you have gone, so have a good time and keep SNS in touch.

·
Super Moderator
3,701 Posts
Alf, nice reference. Very interesting car, that, and Blairs is a stone's throw from where I grew up in San Gabriel. As a kid, that was THE local speed shop of record in the area. Bovan was a legendary match racer whose life took a downward turn and came to an abrupt end, but he was a great racer, and so was that car. Notice the heater delete in the Blair's Speed Shop '65 in the magazine article. It was illegal to sell a car in California in 1965 without a heater/ventilation system unless it was specified that it would be used for racing purposes. Harrell's '66 built by Bill Thomas was also a heater delete car, and it would be interesting to compare the two builds. BC Bob's build has some great historical company.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's great info on the Blair Speed Shop car! I know of the car but haven't ever seen this article.

Well, I hope you have enough carburetion for the small block there.
Don't worry they are only 500's :cool: A stock 350 came with a 800cfm Qjet and 283's could be had with 2 -400 WCFB's way back in 1957 so I think it'll be all right. The cfm ratings for dual carbs aren't cumulative although this intake manifold is a bit of a special case because it effectively splits the engine into two separate 4 cylinder engines.
The pressure drop across each dual carb will be 1/2 that of a single carb.
The size of each dual carb should be approximately the square root of 0.50 or 70.7% of the optimum single size carb. This changes the standard single carb. formula to CID times Peak RPM / 4887 (instead of 3456) x volumetric efficiency.
At least in theory anyway! I've run many tunnel rams and low-medium rise dual quads over the years but have never tried this particular set-up yet, wish me luck!

Nice find, Bob. Keep us up to date on your progress. Is it a Canadian car?

The other Bob in B.C.
Hi Bob! Thanks, I'd almost decided to get rid of my small stash of parts I've been saving for this build and probably would have if the swap meet in Abby hadn't been cancelled this year. Yes it is a Canadian car! I will have to send for her birth certificate! Here's the tag. Sorry for the terrible picture.

Style 11357 Build date 2-6-28
Body No. 208250
Paint C
Trim 734
D70 M35

IMG_3640.JPG

Thanks everyone I appreciate all comments and suggestions!

I will definitely post on the progress when I get going on it, it's going to be a fun project that I've wanted to do forever. The first engine swap I ever did was in a 63 Acadian (Nova) using a tripod of sapling poles and a come-a-long in a dirt backyard when I was 14. So you can see my sickness goes back all the way!😄

·
Registered
827 Posts
That Mickey Thompson cross-ram is a rare and valuable piece today. I had one on a 301 in a '55 in the mid-60's for a brief time (it was borrowed) and it had good street manners.
I think it fits your theme perfectly.

·
13,462 Posts
Hi Bob! Thanks, I'd almost decided to get rid of my small stash of parts I've been saving for this build and probably would have if the swap meet in Abby hadn't been cancelled this year. Yes it is a Canadian car! I will have to send for her birth certificate! Here's the tag. Sorry for the terrible picture.

Style 11357 Build date 2-6-28
Body No. 208250
Paint C
Trim 734
D70 M35
A good old Oshawa born 1965 Nova Sport Coupe with a six and PG. The blue roof must have been added later as the tag shows it wasn't a
factory 2 tone. Late 1965 build at end of June or early July.

Bob

·
Registered
67 SS, 65 SS
1,823 Posts
I certainly can relate to the enthusiasm of a first gen gasser Nova. It looks like a great staring point . The Cal Trac split mono leaf rear set up is a cool way to go if serious on launching. I am tooling around with my 65 SS and have a Nickey straight axle subframe awaiting the install. Its a white on blue combo ......yours having the blue roof will make for a cool look. Looking forward to your progress. A big congrats on the score.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I've always liked the straight axle cars and even bought a 65 chevy van front axle assembly years ago to put in my 55 chevy 2 door. The Chevy II is perfect for this, I can't believe how short and stubby it makes the car look jacked up high like that, I love it! Here's a couple of cars I like in this style.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts