Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
been awfully quite on this board lately, hope everyone is out in the garage working hard.

anyways - was surfing around lokoing for pics / ideas on engine bay details for my car.
specifically thinking about the body color engine bay versus traditional black.

did nto find any with painted bays, looked all over Novaresource,cardomain,etc.

so if anyone has (any, to convince me one way or other) engine pics of gen 4's.. please post, or send a link.

~ AL

ps: one other thing I noted hwile hunting around - most gen 4 cars I see have minimal detailing underhood (ie: chrome dress-up, few odds and ends, but genereally 'street machine / driver' look ).
not saying that as a bad thing ( or to knock anyone, my 79 engine is ugly,too ), but if you, for example to Scotts novaresource gallery and check 69-70's, there's average ones, but MANY are real clean,detailed 'show-car' bays.
is there a reason gen 4 owners aren't that fanatical ?

( ie: we're younger guys who drive our cars,less cash,etc :), or is it truly a 'gen 4 get no respect' ?

just made me stop and wonder....

·
Registered
624 Posts
You are right! You don't see a lot of show quality engine bays on 4th gens. But you don't see a lot of 4th gens period. I think the fact that they just aren't as popular as the earlier models is the biggest reason you don't see more of them spiffed up. It is no small task to fully detail an engine bay, so people who are willing to do it tend to look for more desireable models to work on. The thought being that if the basic car is already well liked, everyone will love it with a tricked out engine bay. If someone was to take a Yugo to a show with a fancy engine compartment, people might love the work that was done to the car, but be thinking "why did he/she waste his/her time on a Yugo".

I'm not lowering the 4th gen Novas to the level of a Yugo, but I think you get my drift. I personally don't care what others think of my car when it's done, since it's mine, and I'm not building it for them. When mine is done it will have a fully detailed engine bay with body color firewall, core support, inner fenders and underside of hood. The underside of the floor and trunk will also be the body color. Heck, even the subframe may be the body color. I haven't made up my mind on that yet.

Here's a pic from about a year ago. I haven't taken any pics recently. The project is a little further along now, but not near done yet.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
car looks good - about the stage mine is in ( body mostly done, still all different colors, awaiting a new subframe - which will have to wait until spring weather so we can pull the 'donor' car apart.

been working on odds and ends in the meantime,and pondering the interior ,etc....

got a question for you on the rotisserie - did you build that ?
if not, what make is it ?

we've talked about building or buying one for a long time, might finally get to it this spring ( did my bro's 73 frame off without one, my dad's 66 Chevelle SS396, and what's been done to my 76 Medalist , but wanting one more as we do floor work on the Medalist, and work on my dad's current project - 63 4 door hotrod ).

~ AL

and, to be on topic, lol - I agree on the 4th gens not getting the respect, hence noone doing up 'show-car' detail levels , well, except Wayne from NNN (our sponsor), who's one of my inspirations. :)

·
Registered
624 Posts
Green Dragon said:
got a question for you on the rotisserie - did you build that ?
if not, what make is it ?
It's homemade, and I did build it myself. Rotisseries aren't that hard to build. The biggest mistake people make when building them is that they get "overbuilt". There is a misconception that a car is so heavy that a rotisserie has to be built of 1/4 thick 4"x4" square tube or even bigger material to hold the car up. The truth is that the body doesn't really weigh that much after all the interior, glass and all the other parts are removed. Unless you're planning to rotate a fully assembled car, ( why anyone would want to is beyond me ) the materials don't need to be that heavy. I actually built mine out of discarded parking lot light poles. The poles are 4" square but only 1/8" thick. They are usually between 14 and 20 feet long or longer. Plenty strong for the majority of the rotisserie frame, but still fairly lightweight. Best of all they were free.:D

Stay away from the idea of using engine stands to build a rotisserie. The legs aren't wide enough to provide stability. They also aren't tall enough to allow clearance when you rotate the car. It takes two of them to build a rotisserie and I have less than the cost of one of them invested in mine:)

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ray_McAvoy said:
I have some pics of the engine compartment in my 77 in my Yahoo photo album at:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ray_mcavoy/album?.dir=7124

I probably went a little overboard with the detailing considering that the car is a daily driver. But I just can't stand a dirty engine compartment.
Ray,

That engine bay is perfect !

Love it, especially with the (correct for late 77 up ) blue paint, waaaaaay cool !

:)

·
Registered
1974 Nova, 1977 Nova
2,055 Posts
Green Dragon said:
Ray,

That engine bay is perfect !

Love it, especially with the (correct for late 77 up ) blue paint, waaaaaay cool !

:)
Thanks Al !

It was pretty much all original (but rather dirty) when I first got the car. It had about 90K miles and still had the original belts & hoses ... yikes! The stock cam had a couple lobes that had gone flat so I pulled the engine and freshened it up over the winter of 2002/03. One thing led to another and I ended up detailing the engine compartment a bit more than I had planned :D I decided to keep the engine blue "just because" that's what it was originally.

·
Premium Member
1,188 Posts
Here is 3 pics of my compartment, first 2 are of the small block in it now

second pic

Here is picture of the big Block setup I had ran before

I miss the big block it was a 402 and was a killer with 11.5 to 1 pistons good heads 600 620 lift cam 320 310 duration. It sounded awesome out the pipes, But with emissions it just was worth the headache any more

·
Premium Member
1,188 Posts
On a side note, I am changing my compartment around, as nice as it looks it is a pain to maintain when you drive it so i am changing out the polished stuff for coated or chromed Aluminum Parts
Will post those pics when done

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
pics look good - glad to see all 4th gens aren't dirty or uncared for :)

some of those will inspire me (love the resto look as I noted, but not going to work for my G-machine).
some things I noted ( not trying to pick on anyone or anything, so bear with me ) .

some missing heater boxes - full race with no heat ? ( don't think any had something like vintage Air (inside the car boxes), anyone dealt with that sort of system ( on a non 4th gen, if you have - would help get the heater box out of the way )

also noted the manual brakes - stock brakes ? - just curious as I have had advise to swap my power brakes for 4 wheel manual discs when I get the 12" rotors and rear discs mounted, but power sounds better, least to me .

one thing (again, not trying to point fingers),is the unhooked A/C boxes - they're large and clunky.. I have seen people cut those and use the A/C heater cores, winds up being on the side, like a 68-70 big block heater box, looked good.

check here for a link to my brothers 73 with A/C all hooked up and decked out ( pain in the neck though, so I understand )
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2241007

I love the pic of the stock look 283, makes me want to have it totally stock looking motor, and then swap in somehting like a 1958 or 59 chevy dash into the Nova :)
I've seen that 'older dash swap' done on some pick-ups with great results.

Anyways, keep the pics coming if you have em ( will try to get some pics of my ' see, 4th gen are grungy' 79 when I go to the shop tommorrow, so you can see I'm guilty, lol ... that's why I want to do the new one real clean (hide the wires, hoses, nice paint, dressed up without being overboard, etc).

~ AL

(does borrowing a few ideas and merge em together qualify as a new idea ? ) lol

·
Premium Member
1,188 Posts
I had Manaul brakes due to the Big Block and no vacuum, And when I went back to small Block I hadn't changed back to Power, But since pics i do now have power. As for no Heater I removed it to smooth firewall with plans for a vintage unit under dash in future, It still has enough heat in it if i want to go for a ride in the cold but how often am i doing that.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
novaboy009 said:
;)

stock appearing is what I meant ( beefed up inside adds to the sleeper look :)

I bet it makes people stop and take a second look ( the 50's engine / detail in a 70's Nova ) .

We've actually got a far-from-stock 283 on the engine stand at the shop, waiting for my dad's 63 4-door.
The machinist said he figured about 350 hp, so should be a nice lil sleeper.

~ AL

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ProNova said:
I had Manaul brakes due to the Big Block and no vacuum, And when I went back to small Block I hadn't changed back to Power, But since pics i do now have power. As for no Heater I removed it to smooth firewall with plans for a vintage unit under dash in future, It still has enough heat in it if i want to go for a ride in the cold but how often am i doing that.
No problems with the manual brakes though ? ( and if so, why the swap back to power ? ). Again still looking for input to weigh my options - I'll likely keep the power, since my car's 80% street car where good brakes are a must .

Keep us posted on the vintage unit, I don't personally know anyone whose installed one, no noones brain to pick, lol.
As for driving in the cold , true, but here in NY humidity, driving home from a late night cruise with no defrosters and fogged windows is not a good option, so even witht he heat disconected, still need a blower / fan .
I've actually toyed with the idea of moving just the fan inside the firewall, and no heater (would be just like the stock forced air rear defrosters).
Not sure about losing the heat completely yet (again, late sept cruise nights in NY can get chilly.).

well, heading over to dad's shop in a few, it's my day off , so have to make the best of it :beer:

~ AL

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well, was out at the shop yesterday working on the old beater ( sanding and sanding and scraping seam sealer, and sanding ..... ) .

Did get a pic of the 79 Nova's engine bay - to show I'm guilty of the undetailed look as well :rolleyes:
One reason I want to make the 76 'perfect' .

will keep updates on both progress , and keep looking on here for input / motivation :)

~ AL

1 - 20 of 49 Posts