Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I get a package deal of a 30k mile crate 350, with a th400 from an
84 C10 for 400 bucks, and plan on pullin out the 250 and the PG. The more I find what I'll have to deal with installing/modifying with the th400 I think I may just keep the PG. My question is...Should I pull the 250/PG out as a unit and then bolt the PG to the 350..or should I just leave the PG in the car? I'm just concerned how much of a pain mating up the 350 and the PG may be. BTW I have the nose of the car off so I have a large work area. Also If and when I decide to sell the th400..whats a fair price to ask for it?:chev:

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Well, this is totally opinion, but I would pull them all out together. It is ALOT easier to light up the tranny and the engine while they are out of the car. And the tranny is not that hard to remove (6 bolts).

However, that being said, it really isn't "horrible" to undo the bellhousing bolts from under the car. But you will need a long (at least 24") extension on your ratchet, and probably a friend to hold the socket on the bolts while you lay under the car and try to turn the wrench from two feet away.

Just be sure when you mount the tranny and engine together that the torque converter is seated properly on the tranny. It has to engage on two levels of splines. It will slide on easily to one level, then you usually need to wiggle and work to get the splines to line up to get the converter all the way on. If you don't get it all the way on and tighten up the engine to the tranny you will destroy your tranny.

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
I would pull them both at the same time, I did. Like Super Sport said, it depends on what car you have. I hve a 3rd gen and I am going to use a TH400 till I can get a converter and tailshaft for my 700R4. This is going to be a street driven strip car.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies..

Thanks for the advice..BTW..its a 72...and my gut feeling was that pulling the engine and tranny out as a set would be easier, and also provide me with more room to clean/paint up the area.

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
paulc said:
my gut feeling was that pulling the engine and tranny out as a set would be easier, and also provide me with more room to clean/paint up the area.
That's what I said... Next thing I knew the subframe and everything else was getting sand blasted and powder coated.:rolleyes: Good luck! was just going to get the BB and trans in and go from there, but it just kept comming apart. Then you can't just put crappy stuff back in.:beat: :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts