Chevy Nova Forum banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
700R4 in a 67?

will a 700R4 trans fit in a 67 with out modifing the floor pan/tunnel? the TH350 is tight as is. I want the overdrive but don't want to hack up my floors.

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
The guy that bolted up the 700R4 in my 63 said he had to pry one spot on the floor to make it go in.

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
hi novabro, putting a 700r4 in your car should be no problem:) you would need a new crossmenber and have a new drive shaft made or your old one cut down. i put one in my 66 without any mods to the tunnel. i used a bowtie overdrive crossmember and their detent cable linkage for the carb. i kept the stock shifter and used a shiftworks conversion kit on it. it worked out just fine;) but as with every thing else on the car,it adds up fast:eek:

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
novaBRO,
I used a driveshaft from a Vega (bolt-in), but you can also use one from a 70-81 Camaro which requires a different u-joint. I went with the Bowtie Overdrives crossmember as well which is a nice looking piece and leaves a lot of clearance for exhast as you can see in novafied's picture.

You are considering 3.55's? That is what is in my rear, and it runs at about 2000 rpm at 60 mph (205-60-15's), much better than 3000 at 60mph that is used to be :)

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
I had to massage my tranny tunnel a little

The tailhousing on either side where the bolt heads are required me to smack with a plastic weighted hammer a few times about an 1/8th of an inch only because of the thick bolt heads. My entire set up is Bowtie. No complaints

·
Registered
270 Posts
700r Tranny Mount Don't Fit

I just put the motor and tranny in my 68 today. The 700R rubber mount seems to be too big to fit. When I jack the tranny up it hits the tunnel way before I can get the rubber mount under it :confused: Are there differant size rubber mounts or do I need a differant cross member? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
700r4 conversion

Well I went with a NNN conversion and crossmember. The detent and linkage plus the lens was under 60.00 and the cross was 115.00 So All is good around here for the time being. Thanks for the input good luck on all your projects;) ;) :D

41 - 48 of 48 Posts