Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been trying to locate this leak for a long time now. Valve coves are clean, distributor is clean, PCV is not leaking so where is the oil coming from? The oil is pooling on the intake where the "air gap" is. It leaks very little from daily driving, but at track with the engine at 3000-5000 rpms for 10-25 min at a time, it leaks a lot. I think it is coming from the casting where the support rod looking thing is, You can see there is a line going around it, probably from the casting, but I don't know if it is hollow underneath it or if its solid, but it does look like the bottom half of it is wet and the top half isn't. Has anyone seen this before or has a edelbrock rpm air gap manifold off an engine that can check the under side of it to see if oil could possible come up from there?
Thanks
Paul

·
Premium Member
7,761 Posts
Most-likely if it's oil, it's coming from the distributor. There's really not a lot of other places it could be coming from. I'd check it again closer. Sometimes it can be hard to tell. Make sure the distributor is seated all the way down onto the gasket.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just had a similar problem on my performer. I ended up re-installing but believe I originally didn't seal the middle intake bolts right. Most of my oil was also at higher RPM.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Yep, When I had my Performer Air-Gap on it was doing the same thing. Remove your intake bolts and seal them up. Might want to be careful on the ones that go into the water jackets? Mine was only one bolt so I just removed one. If you can, wipe it down real good and go a short drive and check it out. You might just see it's coming out of one single bolt?

·
Premium Member
1,925 Posts
I didn't even think mine had a center support like that.

·
Premium Member
13,245 Posts
My Performer RPM Air-Gap intake doesn't look like that. Is that an off-brand???

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
no, its a edelbrock! I took another look today and suspect the bolt on the passenger side, the second closes to the firewall. I'll try to seal that one up and see if it does the trick. What did you do to seal it? RTV on the under side of the bolt head?
Thanks
Paul

·
Premium Member
13,245 Posts
Paulski said:
no, its a edelbrock! I took another look today and suspect the bolt on the passenger side, the second closes to the firewall. I'll try to seal that one up and see if it does the trick. What did you do to seal it? RTV on the under side of the bolt head?
Thanks
Paul
Try some thread sealer on the threads.

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Well, I guess I'm not the only one then. I put sealer on the inner most two bolts on each side thought that was my problem but it still leaks. Let me know what you figure out. Thanks.

·
Registered
787 Posts
No question a high pressue leak. Seal at the Dist. I know you Checked that first. Sometimes, you can have the best dizzy hold down clamp you can get, but its not the clamp force, its a faulty seal. Check to see how much oil is behind the dist, on the bellhousing, a telltale sign.
Just from the 2 bolts in the middle that I can see, its not coming from them on the intake. I have a billet MSD dist, which is notorious for leaks, but the regular can, and do leak, especially with high rpm/pressure.
I have had the intake bolts leak as well, but you can see that oil trace from the bolts to the valley, the dribble trace, and if you don't have that, ck the dist, again.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I had a small leak on the oil sender once, but you can't miss that, so it's got to be dist. like everyone else has said, and it would be pretty hard to miss a leaky bolt too if it's leaking as bad as you say it is.

I managed to leave the dist. seal out when I first put my engine together and didn't have any problems with 12 psi of steady oil pressure, but that was also when I sprung the oil sender leak. I put the seal in when I repaired the oil sender, so I didn't create another mess. Pressure will always travel to the point of least resistance.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts