Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there, I got the heavy duty rear diff cover / girdle and looks great. There's two bolts that provide support to the bearings at 10' / pounds. My torque wrench doesn't go down that low. I was just going to use my five finger torgue wrench settings but I'm thinking maybe since they bear on the assembly that they need to be perfect.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
like this one pictured. i did the same finger turn till i felt it touch an then locked it down. no leaks.

Attachments

·
Registered
20,119 Posts
I tighten till they engage, back out and coat that portion of the threads with some RTV then tighten back up with slight pressure.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Do you guys use that cover on a stock diff, or only if you've rebuilt the internals for all out racing?

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
its a stock rear diff, kinda. it has 3.55 with posi. the original always had a leak. an a shop in town had this one in the picture above for 30.00 bucks. no more leaks, an i dont race it.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I don’t know if it’s right, but I like to use them with no gasket. Just thin sealer to fill in gaps. Seems to make it more stable in my mind. Just tighten the stops with a wrench till they just get snug. Then tighten jam nut. It’ll pull the stop off the cap slightly. Never had an issue with my 12 bolt with 980 hp and 800 ftlbs.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
I don’t know if it’s right, but I like to use them with no gasket. Just thin sealer to fill in gaps. Seems to make it more stable in my mind. Just tighten the stops with a wrench till they just get snug. Then tighten jam nut. It’ll pull the stop off the cap slightly. Never had an issue with my 12 bolt with 980 hp and 800 ftlbs.
I’m the same as you on the no gasket. I used the gasket that came with mine and it leaked a tad. When I did a gear change I used silicone like I do on every other diff. No leaks after that. The silicone will take up and fill in any imperfections.

·
Registered
20,119 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts