Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Yes, they do make the job painless, and correct. I didnt buy one, just kinda made one. But you are on the right road, measure the space, will save you some headaches down the road. JR

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
Has any one used one of these and is it worth it?
Thanks,
Bruce
Yes I have, and no it isn't. I like JR's better. It's at least steel and not flexy plastic.

Both have the same problem tho. You have to bend a wire to "represent" a tire cross section. If you have a tire you can get a rough idea, if you don't you're guessing.

I use a Mount Mate. More money, but guaranteed. When you're messing with $1k per corner wheel/tire combos it's got to be right.

Rich

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
I use a Mount Mate. More money, but guaranteed. When you're messing with $1k per corner wheel/tire combos it's got to be right.

Rich
With the mount mate you have to have the tires right? But how does that help if you dont know what size tire can fit? If you are going from scratch you need a starting point. I dont see the home hobby guy having a bunch of tires available to swap them in and out to see what fits.

The mount mate simulates a wheel for an on hand tire. Not too much use unless you own a tire shop.

And as far as the tire sizes for the WR tool, you can get pretty decent tire sizes from the manufactures.

And Ill be honest, even a cardboard mock up of the tire and wheel size you need will work if casholla is a concern. Still better than eyeballin it and jumping in. JR

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
The mount mate simulates a wheel for an on hand tire. Not too much use unless you own a tire shop.

. JR
JR,

I don't own a tire shop. :no:

I usually have a pretty good idea of what size tire will fit by measuring the hole. I buy one and swap it out if needed, til I get the proper size. My local tire shop has no problem taking them back if they have not been driven.

Everyone wants the biggest tire they can stuff in the car, with it sitting low, with big brakes, and suspension mods, etc, etc. I'm not saying other tools like the one you made won't work, I just like to take all the variables out of the equation. I sleep better at nite after placing that big $$$ order. :D

Rich

·
Registered
418 Posts
I bought the WheelRite. IMO it was a waste of good money. The plastic is so flimsy it is totally inacurate. I wish I had my money back! I am using a framing square and the blades from a couple of tri-squares to serve the purpose. Clamp the two 1' blades to the end of the framing square, overlapping them to get the desired cross section measurement, then hold or clamp the F-square against the hub at the desired tire diameter measurement.
The 1' blades overlap can be changed to any desired cross section or tread width measurement or backspace needed up to 2 foot. It's hard to explain here but you should be able to figure it out. It works great and is cheaper even if you have to buy the squares and small C-clamps.:)
______
l
l
l
--------

The drawing I tried to do with the keyboard didn't work out but maybe you get the idea!

·
Registered
329 Posts
I bought one, and I like it. I just wish you could do more with the tire size then just bend a wire. That's why I'm modifying some popsicle sticks for that.

You could use it and then sell it on craigslist, then it might cost you 20$ at most.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
so how about a rental program for some of us that dont have 1?:)
Hey I have a rental program for my home made jobber. Yer somewhat local. Come pick it up, Ill show you how to use it and send you on yer way with it. Bring it back with the new wheels on the car and we can have a drink out front and enjoy the new look of the wheels.

Or, drive your car on over and Ill go through the steps with you. We can raise her up, get the tire and wheel sizes you are looking at and give it a test fit. And go from there...

Im alway willing to help a guy out. Any of you Nova guys that are in the Ventura county area of Ca. lemme know. I have an open door and glad to shoot some ideas around. Im no expert, my stuff is kinda rough around the edges but two heads are better than one.. JR

·
Premium Member
3,545 Posts
Hey I have a rental program for my home made jobber. Yer somewhat local. Come pick it up, Ill show you how to use it and send you on yer way with it. Bring it back with the new wheels on the car and we can have a drink out front and enjoy the new look of the wheels.

Or, drive your car on over and Ill go through the steps with you. We can raise her up, get the tire and wheel sizes you are looking at and give it a test fit. And go from there...

Im alway willing to help a guy out. Any of you Nova guys that are in the Ventura county area of Ca. lemme know. I have an open door and glad to shoot some ideas around. Im no expert, my stuff is kinda rough around the edges but two heads are better than one.. JR
NPHNP- RIGHT ON!:yes:

·
Registered
2,746 Posts

I will take you up on your offer once I get the carb issue fixed. Just got the exhaust done and love it :D:D

·
Registered
26,336 Posts
Yes, they do make the job painless, and correct. I didnt buy one, just kinda made one. But you are on the right road, measure the space, will save you some headaches down the road. JR

I GOTTA GET ONE OF THESE SINCE JOHNNY WON'T LET ME BORROW HIS :eek:
:horse:

·
Registered
26,336 Posts
So what's better that i can have for awhile mount mate or the percy's unit :confused:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts