Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back home from going to take a look at the engine. Well, it was a major dissapointment, he sent me pictures of a different motor I believe. The block had surface rust in the cylinders and on the decks where the cylinder heads would be. Parts of the crank and rods also were starting to get surface rust. I asked the guy what the hell he was trying to pull and he said that he sent me pictures. I told him, "Yes you did, but the pictures of the motor that you sent me were not in this condition and there were markings on the block that you sent me pictures of." He then stated, well I cleaned the markings off for you, and I could sand the rust off with sand paper :mad:. Just ridiculous that someone would do something like this. Before we even went to look at the "ZZ4" I went and looked at his other motors with him. I didn't see the motor that he sent me pictures of anywhere, but I'm stumped because I asked for certain pictures and he was able to provide them. Oh well, I can just clean up my other block later and make a stroker :D.

·
Registered
308 Posts
people are weird I just got off the phone. Last week i made a deal witha guy for a th350 converter package that was in his car for 300 bucks. All i was waiting on was him to pull it out of his car. i call him today and he sold it to somebody else for 250.
uhh wtf mate
I feel your pain on that engine
Josh

·
Premium Member
6,853 Posts
craigslist=weirdos, period.

·
Premium Member
1,445 Posts
I actually talked to a guy this week that said he had got some good deals on Craigslist and that the merchandise he bought was just as advertised. Even a blind hog gets an acorn once in a while.

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
I never had a problem. I got some good deals also:yes:

dana 60 50.00 :D
muncie m20 350.00 :rolleyes:
th 350 60.00 :cool:
hooker super comps sbc coated 100.00 :eek:

I guess I just have been having good luck..:)

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You can find a great deal on Craigslist. I mean heck, I found my Nova on there but you know everything has it's odds.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I tried to buy a Jeep yesterday from Craigslist, did not work out for me though. He was asking $3500, so I offered him 3k cash, he said he was waiting for a guy to come see it later last night, so he would not take less than asking price. Long story short, I offered him the $3500 and he turned me down said he would feel guilty not giving the other guy a chance who had called him first. Needless to say I was T-d off. He had the nerve to call me while the guy was there and say the guy was going to give him $3500, did I want to offer any more. I will not tell you what happened next. What is the matter with people, first come first serve, especially with cash!!!!!

·
Premium Member
4,612 Posts
i've bought(but never sold) on craigslist several times.all the deals i've pursued were solid with reasonable descriptions.'knock on wood"...i've had good success so far.of course there are a few lunatics to sort through,but i've spotted them from afar and just kept looking.
leftcoast carl.

·
Premium Member
1,477 Posts
said he would feel guilty not giving the other guy a chance who had called him first.
So you admit that the other guy was in line before you :confused:

What is the matter with people, first come first serve, especially with cash!!!!!
As you said "first come,first served", the other guy got in touch with him first........where's the problem :confused:

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
I have a love/hate relationship with CL. I love looking for parts and yes you can find killer deals, but I hate the flaky people that call you and don't know what they're buying and never return emails when it says "please email and I will respond", or I leave my number on an ad and they email me with questions instead of calling.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I guess my problem is this, if he would have told me when I called him that he would not sell it to me because some other guy had called first, I would have not wasted time to go and look at it. To add to that, when I sell stuff, I do not care who has called and said they were coming, I sell to the first person at my house with the money. So many low lifes will call you and waste your time and say they are coming, and never have any intention of coming to look. So I do not pass an oppurtunity to sell if someone actually shows up with the money. Sorry, but it is hard to take anyone for their word these days!

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I tried a few times to get pictures of cars advertised, that didnt have any shown.It said He'd email pics to any one interested. I tried the same guy 3 times and am still waiting. Even if I do get them, now its ,FY keep the car!
Another car I saw that just came up on C/L, I saw on Ebay when it sold. I was watching the winning bid. 2 weeks later its on C/l, and I emailed him saying what happened,"were the pictures better than in person?" His reply was " the guy was an ***, so I decided not to sell it to him."Then immediately I get another reply from him saying, "It just goes to show, if you are a jerk, I wont sell it to you either!" I replied FU , keep the car, you are the ***, and I didnt think I had to meet your personal criteria in order to buy something from you! And if you are serious about selling something , show a little respect to potential buyers!

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I had another story one time on a 67 Chevelle. It was middle of winter, so it wasnt prime time to sell . Anyways I called the guy, and he said it was listed for some time and he got no replys. It was early in the week, and I couldnt drive a few hundred miles until that weekend. He sent me pictures a few different times and I called him practically each night about the car.He knew I was extremely interested, and said there was no problem for me to come that weekend, for no one else was interested at that time. Well Friday evening comes and I called to verify my times for the next days visit. His wife answers and I said I was just verifying the next days plans, and she said,"Oh ,we sold the car last night! The guy really liked it , and we even drove it over to his house for him!" :mad:Well I kind of went off the handle,I was pissed.:mad: I mean I probably was a nusience with all the calls I made. I just wanted him to know my seriousness about it. I told her, she should of told the guy about me coming to see , and should of at least called me and confirm my intentions before she just blew me off. Believe me, I definitely was going to take it! The car was extremely nice, and everything underneath was replaced( brakes , lines , bushings,ball joints. everything) There were just 2 small bad spots on the body. It was really nice, looking at the pics ,which were close ups of everything I asked for. That guy who jumped in line himself knew it was a great deal. Im still pissed thinking about it. And that was like 5 years ago.:) I myself, would wait for someone who shows great interest in something. Because, I know that Id have no problem selling it to the next guy, if it came to that. I guess thats the problem today, no one gives a chit about others these days! :(

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just picked up my nova today,bought off craigs list. Was posted as a '73 but turned out to be a '74.No big deal,he thru in a 350/350 combo and 4.11 gears,plus a 3/8" log chain,binder and ratchet strap!:D

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
CL is good and not so good. You get folks that are one notch above garage sale shoppers there: they still look to deal but are willing to spend a little more than at a garage sale.

So far, I've had some decent deals: the '77 Nova (was really worth a little less than I paid, but my bad for not seeing the hidden rust), black front and rear bench seats from a 25K mile '79 (no rips, but a scratch here and there) and an aftermarket black carpet from ACC that I just picked up today.

Also sold a window a/c unit from my old apartment.

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
ive had luck selling all different stuff,not much luck buying people ask crazy prices for junk!i try to sell w/ good deals,ive sold a couple cars for my inlaws,not bad results!its hit or miss w/ what u r sellin!

·
Registered
202 Posts
So you admit that the other guy was in line before you :confused:

As you said "first come,first served", the other guy got in touch with him first........where's the problem :confused:
I don't agree with your logic... he went to buy the jeep with cash in his hand. If the guy didn't want to sell it for 3K, that's fine, but calling later to work the two against each other is bull****.

You don't get to be "first in line" by calling on the phone. Hell, if you believed every craigslist caller that said they were on the way, you'd still be waiting.
Craigslist callers are notorious no-shows.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Yeah I hate it when you email the people and never respond. I did just buy a set of 62 fenders off of CL myself. They were solid except at the heal at the rocker panel. But when I got there you could see a couple of quicky fixes like mudd in the headlamp area and metal strip only welded in the center to fill a hole in the side of one of the fenders. I guess what I'm getting at is some people solid has a diffrent definition of solid. Oh well, I drove like 150 one way and wasn't going home empty handed. Still a good deal for 75 bones. I did complain and he threw in a wiring diagram book and shop manual. Some times you get the bear and sometimes the bear gets you. People who do purposely lie deserve a good swift kick in the arse though. Sorry about your engine. I hate getting my hopes up for a new piece.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I bought and sold a few things on craigs list, i got a gas tank for my truck for $50 but had a good pump but rusty tank still not a bad price, he wanted $75 then i found a new in box tank down the street for $25, I made out in the end!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts