Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been having some corrosion buildup on my cable ends of my battery...and at times it wont even turn over due to the bad connection...i replace them frequently, but still they get all nasty...someone told me to put some pennies on top of the battery and it will keep it from corriding the terminals...is this a solution? is there an underlying problem? help?

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
put some a those "NOCO" pads under the terminals...

never heard 'bout the penny gig... prolly like the "sacrafical lamb" sorta thing :D

wish ya lived closer... i could steal yer pennies ;)

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
If you are using the replacment ends on your battery cables, throw them away and get new cables. They are notorious for bad connections. The pennies will corrode on top of the battery but will not keep the corrosion off the ends any better than if they were not there.

·
Premium Member
8,478 Posts
JohnnyRotten said:
wish ya lived closer... i could steal yer pennies ;)
Hey Johnny!!! What are you trying to say??? If ya bust open Tony's hood, the best thing under there to steal is the pennies rotting on the battery???:eek: :eek:

You're not gonna take that from that rotten guy are ya Tony???:rolleyes: :D :D

As far as the corrosion issue goes, I agree with wskaiser. If you insist on running top-post, the washer idea is also good. You may also want to use a cable connection dressing. Side post batteries don't eliminate the problem, but they do reduce it considerably. I have also been told that Optima batteries virtually eliminate the problem. Hopefully someone who is running a Optima can confirm or deny that!!:D

Randy (Now get Johnny!!!):D

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
well... they say "a penny fer yer thoughts" so ??? i'd THINK about stealin' his whole car... but wouldn't... so i'd at least get the penny fer thinkin' it, right ??? ;)

·
Premium Member
8,478 Posts
SuperSport said:
Ha, ha. Beat you to it Randy.
I'm #1.
I would of beat you, but I had to get Tony riled about Johnny only wanting to steal his corroded pennies.

I don't know what that line is that Johnny posted. Looks like a bunch of BS to me!!:rolleyes: :D A penny fer yer thoughts. Geez!!!;) :D

Randy (I wouldn't listen to a word he says!!):D

·
Premium Member
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
72GreenRally said:
Hey Johnny!!! What are you trying to say??? If ya bust open Tony's hood, the best thing under there to steal is the pennies rotting on the battery???:eek: :eek:
well if he's lookin under the hood for the battery and pennies, he's outta luck...its in the trunk!!!! so why would new cables do the trick? they look fine?

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
Tony, lotsa times with replacement type heads or crimp on ends, once corrosion gets into the cable, it impedes the flow of juice. being yer battery's in the back, as ya said yer havin' a corrosion issue... is the corrosion visible INTO the cable ??? if so, if ya have a bit extra ya can trim, ya might be able ta trim it back and cut or try cleaning the cable and reinstall the end...

maybe ???

and i'd never try ta steal yer ride... but i'd BORROW it as often as ya'd let me though ;)

be Good :D

[edit] take a good look at the actual connection points too... make sure ya gotta real good connection (prolly wastin' time sayin' it... you know all this stuff ;))

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Pennies on Battery?

Hey Now. Pennies on battery tops started out when rubber and tar is what covered the tops of batteries. The truth is all you had was corrsion in more places than the cables. The only way to stop it. Replace both cables! Use the NORCO pads!! Or Replace the cables and use the Optima battery!! I have used the Optima for years and corrsion is a non-issue. Side Note. Most corrsion starts due to over charging of the battery. Be sure to check your charging system also. As with corrsion it can also create an over charge condition, the alternater thinks your battery is still below voltage and keeps charging. Respectfully, "Bill's" II

·
Premium Member
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the cables dont look bad, and are only a couple years old...the alternator is about the same age....how do i tell the alternator that its charging too much? could it be the batteries fault as well?the buildup occurs just on the terminals and more so on the pos than the neg. i guess i will replace the cables next

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
I always think the corrosion comes from a bad seal on the battery posts allowing acid to seep out. Every time I have ever had corrosion problems replacing the battery fixed it. I usually dunk the cable ends in baking soda when I replace a battery too. I don't think you can get corrosion without having acid leakage. I have tired the terminal coatings and felt washers with no luck unless I replaced the battery.

·
Premium Member
2,921 Posts
i had that problem a few yrs back. i switched to aluminum conectors, problem solved..

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
1965proSTREET said:
....how do i tell the alternator that its charging too much? could it be the batteries fault as well?
why not drive it down to a place like advance so they can check the condition of your charging system on your car while you wait...and best of all its normally free of charge;) :)

·
Registered
691 Posts
Switch to a red top Optima there a sealed gel cell type batt. The 1 i had in my mud truck was spotless, well apart from all the mud,but no batt acid.

·
Premium Member
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i am gonna get a redtop optima...my father in law can get one for me for like 55 dollars...my dad just got one....one more question...what kinda cranking amps should i go for....i have been told 850-900...mine now is like 670, and it sucks....opinions?!?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts