Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey. Im putting a 4bbl 600 cfm edelbrock in.

So heres what I am asking.

Someone told me to pcv valve or I will have leaks and smoke.. Another person told me that it will hurt my carb if I have a PCV valve.

Should I use it ? Or just stick a breather in my valve cover hole?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Use the PCV valve or it will smoke like a SOB. I don't think it hurts performance that much. Your running a 600cfm edel. So you are probebly more worried about daily functionality. Thats a good carb. Your engine will run great with the PCV valve installed. I run on on anf off my car and I can't see a diffrence exept for all the friggen smoke. You will like it better than a breather. Make sure your valve covers have baffles so you don't suck up oil in your pcv valve and mess it up.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the PCV valve won't mess up my carb?

i hope this doesn't make me sound dumb but, what are baffles?
(I am young this is my first car :( cut me some slack lol)
thanks!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Heck no. Your PCV won't hurt it at all. Your carb is made to run with that hooked up. Who ever told you that is full of it. Baffles are part of most valve covers. They are on the inside of them. They prevent oil from splashing up inside the pcv. Just look threw the hole where your pcv hooks up. If you can see the head than you don't have baffles. If you see a bunch of shiny metal you have baffles. If you don't have baffles you can get this special fitting from summit that goes over your pcv and it has a little slit in it so oil won't get up in there. I don't know how well it works as I have never personaly used them. Take care and don't be afraid to ask questions. Thats what this site is for and thats the only way you learn.:D

·
Registered
62 Posts
Also - be sure to use the PCV valve that is designed for your car. It's hard to go wrong but if you use one that's designed for another type of engine, it may not work correctly. By that I mean it can flow too much and act just like a big vacuum leak.

I don't recall exactly why, but I believe a properly functioning PCV system can actually make your car run better. Also, if you don't run a PCV system and just put breathers on one or both valve covers, the crankcase pressure will cause the breathers to be saturated with oil and make a big mess. If you don't run a PCV system, you really need an old style draft tube that vents the crankcase under the car (and makes a mess on the street). If you don't do either, the crankcase will pressurize and cause gasket leaks, piston blowby, and all sorts of other nasty things.

Keith
64v8ss4spd
:chev:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
okay i will use a pcv valve :) i got one from dustys car parts :) I have baffles on both valve covers so I will use a pcv on one and a breather on another :) thanks guys

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
I think there's a post somewhere on the benefits of using an oil separator in conjunction with a PCV. I haven't tried it but the idea is interesting.
The commerical unit's are expensive but I think you could make one if you are handy with fabrication.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts