Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would be the best choice of PCV Valve on a 194 Inline? I have purchased a Deutsch PCV126. There are a few other choices but I am not sure which would be right or best choice.

The other question is, should I use a two hole flange gasket for the exhaust manifold to exhaust pipe or is the metal cast ring seal enough? It is a single almost straight pipe going to the muffler and straight tail pipe after that. Is there any type of sealing goo that should go on the ring?
Also the Exhaust pipe keeps dropping slightly from the manifold. I suspect either wrong nuts on the studs (maybe from hardware store) or the studs stripped a few threads.:eek:

1963 4 Door Chevy II Nova 400
194 c.i. I-6
2 Spd Powerglide
Manual Brake Manual Steering
No frills

·
Registered
689 Posts
Normal Chevy 6 cyl problems

Don't know about the PCV number you listed. I bought mine from Classic Industries to get the correct style. I would think NAPA would have the right thing. The exhaust problem sounds like you may have stripped threads on the studs. They are bad for rusting and can be hard to work with. The only gasket I know of is one of the compression rings that fits onto the end of the exhaust pipe and mates up to the port from the manifold. The pipe should have a washer around the end for the compression ring to set into. You have to have a slightly flexible fitting at this point because of the engine movement. If the studs are stripped you can try using double nuts to get to better threads. If the studs are shot, be careful. Getting the old studs out is usually a problem. I almost always end up having to drill them out to replace them and you will have to ttake the manifold off to do that.

Good luck

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would the header flange and seal kit from Langdon's Stovebolt Engine Parts Co. work? The studs look right and I would have an extra set if they would fit.
:)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Exhaust pipe studs loose

Well I talked to the guy at Langdon Stovebolt and he told me that their flange and seal kit would be to big. He suggested two things:

1. That I could get some washers and place those between the nuts on the exhaust flange studs so the nuts have fresh threads to fasten to.

2. That I could go to just about any muffler shop and ask for chevy shorts, a type of stud made for exhaust header flange to exhaust pipe. And this would require me to take the header off and heat the studs or the header, (I forget which one he said), to get the studs out to replace them.

Does anyone know how much torque should be applied on either setup above? :confused:

·
Registered
689 Posts
Torque?

I don't know what torque is needed but getting studs out of a well used manifold is a bear! They will use a torch to heat the manifold attempting to loosen the stud so it will screw out. I have had only mixed success with that. I'd say about 50% of the time the stud breaks off anyway and you have to drill it out and retap the hole. If you are really unlucky the manifold will crack and you will be SOL. Try every other option you can first and if all esle fails proceed carefully.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
its almost easier to get a new manifold, from the yard or something, ive had the same problem, never got the studs out, just swapped in a diff used manifold....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts