Chevy Nova Forum banner
21 - 40 of 59 Posts

6,547 Posts
2 am is when a lot of things go through my mind. Many ideas come to me for solving or doing things. It's like my brain isn't ready to call it a night.

The china walls are the thin "walls" that go from one side to the other at the front and back of the block. There is a manifold gasket that can be used but many people use a bead of sealant to make a seal to contain oil and it's mist from escaping.

· Premium Member
4,186 Posts
ready for this? laying in bed this morning at 2 a.m., i remembered i didn`t mention the whistling noise. geez. and what are "china walls"?

Here's a good explanation of the China Wall syndrome and how to cure that leak.
The whistling is a leak on your intake manifold somewhere, most likely sucking oil... and just plain sucking! :p

· Premium Member
4,186 Posts
Thanks, I put them on dry. As fir the China walks, wouldn’t those be spraying oil out, or do they suck in when not sealed? Hey homer
They would typically be pushing outward however, if you use the crap gaskets provided with the intake gasket kit, they WILL LEAK guaranteed... Maybe not now, but they will. The intake manifold sealing is an art which most of us have mastered in one form or another however, the consensus is, those wall gaskets are totally worthless. That's not likely any cause of your smoke issue as that has nothing to do with the intake ports, rather just the oil and lifter valley sealing. You really need to pay particular attention to the gasket sealing surfaces and since you already likely have leaks, it's my contention you use sealant on the ports and your coolant passages. Just my two cents however, I have not had an intake leak for decades using that method (use the RTV sparingly on the ports, both intake and the water jacket) and if followed, including the bolt sealant on the inner 4 bolts (I do all bolts just because I'm like that), you too should not experience further leakage, oil or vacuum. The whistling should stop... hopefully... What do your plugs all look like compared to each other? Pull your plugs and number them each for comparison then once the manifold gasket is off, it will help narrow down (possibly) any leaking intake port sucking oil from the lifter valley...

· Premium Member
4,186 Posts
seems like 6 out of 8 are black. they are all new. and yea, i used "the right stuff" on the front and rear of the intake. maybe i don`t have enough? time will tell when it comes off, very soon.,,,,,,,,,,,thanx to all you guys!
Hey, are they black wet or black sooty?

· Premium Member
4,186 Posts
I had “the right stuff on one side, on the head.
right stuff... on both sides!! Glad you found the issue!! Now you need to check to see why they were leaking... Was the block decked?Could change the angle interface of the manifold to the heads' intake sealing surface just enough to create less pressure on the gaskets at the bottom of the port than the top. Doesn't take much at all. you can fix this with a different gasket, depending on which you used in the first place. Also, you can use the RTV Ultra Gray on the bottom half of the ports, both sides to make up any irregularities in the angles and that should solve the issue for a long long time as long as you're not boosting the motor. NA should be fine since you're just sucking, not blowing.. LOL :p Got any pictures? Pretty sure @Twinshadows Jim posted the link for pictures.... You can also use the right mouse button and the dialogue box to select/copy and then paste pictures into your post.

· Premium Member
4,186 Posts
On the front china wall,,,”.030”,,, and “.004”
How about the intake runners? You can use modeling clay, put some on the head at the bottom of the runners then put your manifold back on and torque it down (130-155 inch lbs or 12-15 ft lbs)
Then take off the manifold and measure the thickness of the clay (use a razor blade at the bottom of the port) That should net you the difference... Just a thought

21 - 40 of 59 Posts