Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
3,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody had Paypal turn down a credit card transaction?

I won an eBay auction and tried to pay the seller through Paypal using my credit card but paypal would not let the transaction go through. I emailed the seller and wanted them to check and make sure that they accepted credit cards like the auction stated and they confirmed this, yet still a no go with Paypal. I called Paypal and they said with "their complex security programs occassionally a transaction is blocked", but I was assured my account was in good standing. Paypal wouldn't say so, but I think they have had a problem with the seller in the past and don't want another one even thought the seller's feedback is 100%. I will only pay for auctions with a credit card to give myself at least a little protection and now I can't pay this person. I don't mind giving up the auction, but I don't want this person to give me bad feedback because their account is messed up.

·
Premium Member
13,649 Posts
I'd say that in his eyes you have the responsibility of making the payment, in any form possible. If a CC does not work then you may need to buckle down and send a money order. Or try to work it out with him. But remember he has fees to pay because of the winning bid, and most sellers wont take a back out too lightly.

·
3,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your probably right, but I did not get that warm fuzzy feeling talking to Paypal. The CC transaction was blocked for a reason and they were adamant that they would not override it. I have emailed the seller several times letting him know that I am trying to pay, but I only bid on auctions that allow the use of CC and I told him so. This was advertized as such on the auction.

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Try to add another CC to your account, Perhaps the fault is with the CC you have on file. I highly doubt they have a problem with the payout, I don't think they disconcern about payouts..

·
3,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tried that already with the same result. During my discussion with Paypal they assured me that my CC was good and would work for other auctions. It (and the second) was blocked for this transaction only. Like I said, Paypal did not give me a warm fuzzy feeling about the seller. She wouldn't come out and say anything bad, she just said that I would not be able to use a CC with this transaction and it wasn't through any fault on my account. It was really weird so that's why I am wondering if anyone else has run into this.

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
You know, thinking about that maybe the person had a lot of charge-backs. Maybe nothing to do with Paypal, but I remember reading that there's a high rate of charge-backs on internet purchases and that it's a big problem. Where Paypal is a pay service, there's probably some collusion between the CC companys and them. Makes sense that they'd want to take away the convenience of the CC transaction from someone who's a thorn in their side.

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
Card options

That link indicates that the problem is with the seller. I was going to suggest that you use your card at the bank & transfer that money from your account to paypal. But it looks like even that would not work now. :confused:

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
The seller has 100% positive feed back. But he only has 4 purchases. Account is new this month. Your purchase is his first sale. I bet he has bad history under a different sellers name. Paypal may have saved you from a hard lesson. I would not send this seller money any other way. Do not worry about the bad feed back. He will change his name again soon. Earl

·
3,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I violated my own rule about not bidding on auctions with people who have minimal feedback (and no buyer feedback), but the auction said it took CC's so I had some protection and it wasn't a large amount of money. I also think PP has protected me from a bad seller and if I get bad feedback I will respond and dispute it.

·
Premium Member
2,921 Posts
i would say if he listed paypal as a payment option and he cant accept paypal them its not your fault for not paying. if he gives you bad feedback just give the same explaining that. when i buy things i only use paypal and if a seller says they accept paypal and i wouldnt be able to make the payment that way then the seller is breaching the contract not the buyer.

·
Premium Member
2,060 Posts
paypal issue

If I am not mistaken, a seller with less than 10 total transactions CAN NOT accept pmt by paypal. Not 100% possitive but 99.75% !!! Jim:eek:

·
Registered
70 Posts
As a seller you can block credit card payments... a good thing to do for a new seller. CC payments can get reversed upto 30 days later, then the seller ends up with no money and no product. (This happened to me about 5 years ago)

In response to the post above this one, any new seller can accept paypal, they just cant use the buy it now or dutch auction features until they have 10 feedbacks.

·
3,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Today I get an email from the seller's eBay account asking for a money order made out to a third party. I am in contact with eBay now because this whole transaction stinks to high heaven.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Yeah, that doesnt sound right.

I gather from what you said earlier that he does accept paypal, just not credit cards through paypal... right?

If that's the case... add your bank account to your paypal account, wait for it to verify (3 days), then send him the money direct. This way he gets his payment, you are protected by paypal buyer protection, and you wont get scammed by sending out a money order. If he has a problem waiting a few days for your bank account to verify, then he shouldnt be selling online. I guide new buyers through that type of thing all the time, sellers usually have no problem with a short wait. :)

-wagon dude

·
3,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
His PayPal account will not recieve any transactions.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Call him on the phone... easiest way to avoid a negative feedback from him. If you talk to him, he wont go off and give you bad feedback as quickly. His number probably wont be in the transaction details page, but if you go to the advanced search and click request user info, they will give you everything.

Just last week I purchased a digital camera battery... he wouldnt respond to my numerous emails. I called him on the phone and he said he didnt have anymore and didnt want to get a negative from me because of it.

I have a 'negative feedback phobia' so I call people all the time. 3500 feedbacks without one! :D

-wagon dude

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
72VenturaII said:
Has anybody had Paypal turn down a credit card transaction?

Just a question? How the heck did you get Paypal on the phone.I have tried a few times and it was a night mare with no results.
By the way it sounds like you are having a bad time with a bad seller. You may be better off to drop the deal with him. good Luck!

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
That Paypalsucks fourms is quite a read. Go in there and check out people's horror storys with Paypal transactions (or non-transactions)......

1 - 20 of 20 Posts