Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember awhile back you mentioning about getting away from the GEN I SBC's and starting into the GEN III/IV motors and was wondering since you got back from IRAQ if you have any input on them yet, or if your still taking a well deserved vacation?

I steered away from the ol school SBC's and BBC's and have a 00 LS1 (75k mile motor)in my 66, cleaned up, mic'd, new main bearings, reringed, underdrive viscous dampner, LS6 intake, XR281HR Comp Cam, Comp 918 valve springs (2nd gen) and a polished MAF, ARP rod bolts,4L60e and a 3400 stall convertor 2.1 str, and thats about it. Wanted to build it good but the budget only allowed so much before needed to get it running for mock up purposes (xfer'd overseas and the wife needs to be able to drive it out of the garage). Will go in and replace a few more items, push rods, oil pump etc... before it gets driven and beaten.

So, I guess what I'm asking is, what can we do cheap and effectively to get the most out of these motors, from your point of view/experience.

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
I don't have one to work on...yet, but I have had discussions with people wanting me to engineer an engine package for them.
Might do a 427 with the LSX block and twin turbos for about 1800 hp in a 2002 Trans Am.
The more I look into it, the more I see the LS is vastly improved over the old Gen 1 engine. I'm tempted to build a 550 hp 427 LS for my own use.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
I remember awhile back you mentioning about getting away from the GEN I SBC's and starting into the GEN III/IV motors and was wondering since you got back from IRAQ if you have any input on them yet, or if your still taking a well deserved vacation?

I steered away from the ol school SBC's and BBC's and have a 00 LS1 (75k mile motor)in my 66, cleaned up, mic'd, new main bearings, reringed, underdrive viscous dampner, LS6 intake, XR281HR Comp Cam, Comp 918 valve springs (2nd gen) and a polished MAF, ARP rod bolts,4L60e and a 3400 stall convertor 2.1 str, and thats about it. Wanted to build it good but the budget only allowed so much before needed to get it running for mock up purposes (xfer'd overseas and the wife needs to be able to drive it out of the garage). Will go in and replace a few more items, push rods, oil pump etc... before it gets driven and beaten.

So, I guess what I'm asking is, what can we do cheap and effectively to get the most out of these motors, from your point of view/experience.
There's a world of improvement in the heads if you have a good shop work them up.:yes: They're good already but can easily be phenomenal!! TEA and ET performance are on top of that game and both have CNC programs already developed for them. I had TEA do their stage 1.2 on a set of 5.3 castings a few years ago on a project for my brothers car. It's a 372" stroker (a little over 11:1) that puts 560 to the rear wheels!!
It's wild to think the ported STOCK castings will outflow 95% of the aftermarket 23* Gen I offerings.:eek:
The LS6 intake is a good step up over the LS1 (and is a bolt on). An easy way to tell if you have the LS6 version is if you have the EGR coming into the top of the intake behind the throttle body then you have the LS1 intake. Blending out the stock throttle body will net some results as well.
A good set of headers will pick up a GOOD amount over the stock manifolds as well.

Find a GOOD tuner!! There's a LOT left in the tune as well.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm hoping to get it to hit over 400 at the wheels, I'd be happy. I did pick up a LS6 intake already, made the long tube headers, all tubes between 30-36 inches. Just have to get back and take it to a dyno shop and have it tuned. It has a base tune also, for the mods so far, and sounds good. Wouldn't mind picking up a ported throttle body either. I'm sure my 9" will suck up some power, but heres to hoping.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I frequent LS1tech, but like to read Pauls write ups and explanations on topics. Used LS1tech a lot for my conversion, rewiring and parts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts