Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my new headers and I was wondering why do they make the passenger side longer? I know they make the driver side lower to make room for stock columb shift linkage etc. Just curious as to why the length is different also. I have floor shift now and I also didnt think at the time to order mine for that, so its lower for no reason:rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
12,017 Posts
The headers are the same length, the cylinders on the passenger side set back farther than the drivers side.
The drivers side collector can be raised, I did it to mine.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ahh shat.. I wasn't even thinking of that.

What did you do? just chop and weld?

·
Super Moderator
12,017 Posts
To raise the collector I placed a jack with a block of wood under it, raised it apply pressure to the collector then tapped on the pipes with a rubber mallet. Kept adding pressure and tapping until it moved up level and would stay there on its own. Do not have to hit the pipes real hard, the tapping helps relieve pressure allowing them to move.

·
Registered
407 Posts
You know, the heads arnt offset but an inch or so and the headers are longer on passenger side some 5 inches I believe. At least on my old hedmans. Was that supposed to help exhaust gasses exit into one exhaust pipe? That's what I figured anyway. Mine are definitely both level parallel to the floor tho. I lengthened one turn down to even things up under the car. I'm no expert but be careful jacking up and beating (tapping) on your headers if there in aluminum heads. That sounds dangerous, maybe not tho. Actually, Phillips prolly right, you'll be alright

1 - 6 of 6 Posts