Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help please.

The passenger door of my 3gen X-Body can not be opened.

I removed the door panel and can see that it is not looked, the lever as well the push button on the outside of the door to move. But the door gets not unlatch!

Any advise is highly appreciated! Thank you.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I need some help please.

The passenger door of my 3gen X-Body can not be opened.

I removed the door panel and can see that it is not looked, the lever as well the push button on the outside of the door to move. But the door gets not unlatch!

Any advise is highly appreciated! Thank you.
grab the lever on the latch and pull on it, the button may not be pushing it enough, also move the lock mechanism on the latch

·
Registered
Mike - 74 Nova Baltimore, MD
1,487 Posts
Are you able to open the passenger's side door by lifting up on the inside door handle (with the door unlocked)?

·
6,498 Posts
Try shooting some penetrating oil on the latch assembly and letting it sit a while to do it's work. Maybe something is gummed up and not releasing.

Once you do get the door open, take the latches out on both sides and clean and relube them.

Also check the hinge bushings and if worn badly can put excessive pressure on the latch and pin making the door hard to open.

Jim

·
Registered
878 Posts
Exotec, with the door panel removed look at the latch mechanism and note the vertical upside down "L" shaped arm that is closest to the inside of the car......this is the arm that is connected to the rod that goes to the interior door handle. Use a small pry bar to pull it toward the front of the car. Pull it till it bottoms out.
This arm is what releases the pawl that keeps the U-shaped latch, latched around the striker post.
My guess is the spring that springs-back the latch is broken or, the door is too tight against the striker post. As you are pulling on the above mentioned L-shaped arm have someone PUSH in on the door from the outside.
I'd try this if Jim's penetrating oil suggestion does not work.
Lastly, make sure the lock/unlock lever mid-way up the mechanism is in the up position. This is the lever that the connects to the lock release knob that come up thru the top of the door panel.
Final-final, reach up to the very top of the lock mechanism and pull the spring-loaded tab away from the door skin. This is what the outside door handle pushes against.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thank you all for your input.

was travelling for business so I couldn't test any of suggestions, but will do on weekend and let you know what worked out!

·
6,498 Posts
Try shooting some penetrating oil on the latch assembly and letting it sit a while to do it's work. Maybe something is gummed up and not releasing.

Once you do get the door open, take the latches out on both sides and clean and relube them.

Also check the hinge bushings and if worn badly can put excessive pressure on the latch and pin making the door hard to open.

Jim
WD40 solved the issue.
Now maybe go further with what I suggested with taking the latches out to clean them and relube them. Once they are clean you might be able to see if something is worn enough to warrant a replacement.

Jim

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Now maybe go further with what I suggested with taking the latches out to clean them and relube them. Once they are clean you might be able to see if something is worn enough to warrant a replacement.

Jim
Hi Jim,

yes, will be done as its a complete rebuild and everything should work smooth!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts