Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am trying to pull out the passanger side kick panel in my 76 nova concours. However, the heater core cover is just in the way enough to prevent the entire A/C housing from being removed. I've been attempting to remove this kick panel so I can repaint it, however it seems just straight out impossible, and even worse, it seems to have a lip on the back side which I have no idea if it will prevent it from being removed. Is there any way to get this out without removing the cover and if I have to remove the cover how difficult is it?

·
Registered
475 Posts
Hello, I am trying to pull out the passanger side kick panel in my 76 nova concours. However, the heater core cover is just in the way enough to prevent the entire A/C housing from being removed. I've been attempting to remove this kick panel so I can repaint it, however it seems just straight out impossible, and even worse, it seems to have a lip on the back side which I have no idea if it will prevent it from being removed. Is there any way to get this out without removing the cover and if I have to remove the cover how difficult is it?
I never got mine out with the vent on the back of it. It was hard but I taped it up and dyed it in place.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
I never got mine out with the vent on the back of it. It was hard but I taped it up and dyed it in place.
I know you can get the non-ac ones out because I took them out of a Nova... But I got them to replace my ac kick panels. Since I no longer have ac I want to replace mine with the vented ones but haven't gotten to it yet. So I would be interested in how to do this too if anyone knows.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did you ever end up getting it out? I took my kick panels out of my 77 w/AC a few years ago and wish I could help you with how I got it out but honestly, it was such a b*tch I blacked out and can't remember very well. I do remember letting the panel sit out in the sun was very helpful in getting it flexible enough to put back in, so maybe hitting it with a hair dryer could help get it flexible while taking it out. While trying to get it back in I accepted defeat and just assumed I'd be buying a new one after breaking it because it needed to be folded/curved so much. I wish I could be more helpful but that passenger kick panel is tough.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Update: I manage to get it out and back in the car again. It can be removed by twisting and bending. Ya'll have to use alot of force to get it out. You will definitely run the chance of cracking it but the plastic is pretty flexible and it can be done. Otherwise the heater cover will HAVE to be removed. I had to literally bend the front part of the kick panel back that slides into the crevice between the heater core and the side of the car until I could get it out of the crevice completely and removed the kick panel. This meant essentially bending the kick panel until it was shaped like the letter U. I manage to do this without cracking the kick panel, this isn't ideal but is the fastest and easiest way to get the kick panel out.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Update: I manage to get it out and back in the car again. It can be removed by twisting and bending. Ya'll have to use alot of force to get it out. You will definitely run the chance of cracking it but the plastic is pretty flexible and it can be done. Otherwise the heater cover cover will HAVE to be removed. I had to literally bend the front part of the kick panel back that slides into the crevice between the heater core and the side of the car until I could get it out of the crevice completely and removed the kick panel. This meant essentially bending the kick panel until it was shaped like the letter U. I manage to do this without cracking the kick panel, this isn't ideal but is the fastest and easiest way to get the kick panel out.
Thanks for sharing this! This is helpful!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts