Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for advise for parking lights on a 65. I did move the purple wire to another terminal at the headlamp switch connector and it did fix the front parking lights with the headlights on but still no rear running lights. Do I need to run a wire or what do I do?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You should have wire back there already if not your gonna have to run your own wire.
Well I have 2 wires per side to bulb socket but the back parking lights never came on before I moved the purple which did fix the front.
Also. If I was to run a wire from the headlamp switch which wire at the bulb do I tap into and does that effect the operation of the turn signal or brake light

·
6,458 Posts
The front parking lights on when the headlights are on is not a fix but can be used that way. GM designed the wiring so that the front lights are on with the light switch in the park position and go off when the headlight position is used. For the rear, the two wires for the taillights are for "park" and running lights with the headlights on. The other wire is for brake/turn signal. The ground for the rear light is the housing to the body. This is usually a source of trouble. Use a test probe or volt meter to see if there is voltage with the light switch in the park position using a known ground. One wire should show voltage(12 volts with the engine off). The other wire should have voltage with the brake applied or turn signal on(with the key in the run position).

·
Registered
281 Posts
x2 on the bulb housing. they ground through the metal tabs on the bulb socket when they contact the rear light housing. I edned up replacing mine. there are also some with a separate grounding cable that work well.

also check the bulbs. they are dual filament so if you are getting a brake light and no parking, only one filament may be burnt out. youll see the little wire in the bulb broken.

you can also use a multimeter to make sure youre even getting power to the wire first

1 - 8 of 8 Posts