Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone
so I have a parasitic draw and today I was trying to find the source, I first did the whole pulling each fuse to see if the amp draw goes away and didnt they were all fine. but I found that the amp draw goes away when I unplug the smaller set of wires from the alternator so I took the alternator apart to check the diode and it was fine and my question is; is it for sure the alternator or could it be the wiring to the alternator or something else.
thanks for any help

·
Registered
223 Posts
There are 6 diodes in an original style alternator with external regulator, Three positive and three negative.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you have an external voltage regulator ?. If the 2 smaller wires go to an external voltage regulator and maybe the regulator is having an issue and then when connected to the alternator you get a key off draw ?.

I would have to look but I think there are more than one diode inside the alternator.

Jim
So the two wires that I unplugged went from the internal voltage regulator one goes to the battery and the other goes inside the car. The alternator has a diode trio that I tested and is fine
So know I’m pretty sure the problem is the voltage regulator. Is it possible that the voltage regulator is what is draining tho battery. I can get a new one for $20 so I’ll probably start with that

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok so I replaced the internal voltage regulator and that fixed the problem for about a week and it’s back that means the alternator is killing the regulator right

·
6,523 Posts
Or the regulator went south even though it was "new". I hate throwing parts at things as a fix but being in the electronics industry normally if I see things make it past the first 2 weeks, then that's good. Most failures I've seen happen within the first two weeks BUT with quality equipment. You may have gotten a bad one that took a week to fail and "maybe" the next one will be fine for years to come.
I would though look over things for any signs of wire chafing, shorts, poor connections and so on. Sometimes too I have seen when you unplug an old connector on an old part and replace it with a new one things work but then something happens later and turns out the issue was the plug end with corrosion.

Jim

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Or the regulator went south even though it was "new". I hate throwing parts at things as a fix but being in the electronics industry normally if I see things make it past the first 2 weeks, then that's good. Most failures I've seen happen within the first two weeks BUT with quality equipment. You may have gotten a bad one that took a week to fail and "maybe" the next one will be fine for years to come.
I would though look over things for any signs of wire chafing, shorts, poor connections and so on. Sometimes too I have seen when you unplug an old connector on an old part and replace it with a new one things work but then something happens later and turns out the issue was the plug end with corrosion.

Jim
Okay I’ll see if O’reilly’s will exchange it for a new one, and see what happens

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey guys
So I got a replacement regulator and the draw was still there. So I got a whole new alternator and installed it today but the draw was still there but I noticed some in the process when I’m holding the alternator in mid air the draw goes away and when it’s thiuching the mount the draw comes back. I assume it has something to do with grounding the alternator but why is this happening?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts