Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to replace my rear frame rails on my 69 with a donor pair, I might end up changing the trunk pan as well. My question is, what is the best way to ensure the frame rails end up in the exact location when I reinstall them if I change the trunk pan as well?

·
6,517 Posts
Since a lot of things are close to the same as a first generation, I would do a google search and see what shows up as far as building a jig.

The jig would reference off of existing holes or spots on the underside and then reference off of the old frame rails and then once you cut the old metal and frame out, the new frame rails can be positioned in the exact same spots as well as the floor.

I would also have some concern as to any twisting or movement that might occur when the old metal is cut out and then if not noticed what might then happen with the jig not fitting back into the exact same spot or one or more corners of the jig not sitting back like they did before the metal removal. I had this issue when I hung 2 full quarters, replaced both outer wheel housings, and the taillight panel on a 74 hatchback of mine all at one time. On mine I had a plan in place to where I could get the remaining structure back like it was before the metal removal and all was good with the new metal.

Jim

1 - 2 of 2 Posts