Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
complete floor pan replacement: measurements and bracing

I've got a 67 Nova SS with a rusted floor pan. I might replace the entire floor pan but I'm not sure where to place the jack stands to prevent any unwanted movement misalignment or sagging once the pan is removed.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Mike

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm still undecided but getting closer to understanding what I must do.

I may do this...

Leave the tires on the car and remove the motor,tranny,gas tank,brake and gas lines and doors. Then use these stands https://myliftstand.com/ to get the car off the ground and level. Support each frame rail in two spots. I would just weld together some square tubing with a plate on at least the bottom and cut to fit. Take a handful of measurements and go for it. This would prevent any movement in my mind. Extra work...probably but don't care about that. I just want to get it right.

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As far as measurements, I think i should just measure for cab squareness and then measure from floor to frame rails and rockers. Can't think of any thing else.

As far as bracing, I'm not convinced that is necessary to prevent twisting in this case. If the frame rail are each supported at two points, how would the body twist?

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What I ended up doing is placing two jack stands under each frame rail. Yes, a total of 8 jack stands. Made a number of measurements prior to cutting out the pan...nothing moved, at all. I'll post some images when I get the time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts