Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should I paint it semi-gloss black or gold like the exterior?

·
Premium Member
4,125 Posts
Personal preference. I painted mine body color.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I'd go with the semi-gloss black finish, and I'd also use it on the firewall and inner fender panels, as well.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Factory look: black.

Eastwood makes an underhood black that looks great, not too gloss not too matte. Best part is, it comes in a rattle can. :D
I would look into that but i have the black and some hvlp guns

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
Satin Black

I think the satin black looks best. I have the hood insulation. Think the black looks better with that. You should consider that the black paint alone will probably absorb more heat. Could reduce the life of the outside finish on the hood.
I was thinking about doing the underside of the trunk with that Rhino roll on truck liner. I know that should be the exterior color. Kind of a sound deadener and looks decent. Thoughts on that?

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I think it depends on what look you are trying to obtain.
I painted mine body color along with the firewall, inner fenders, engine
block, valve covers and oil pan:D

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
I painted my entire engine bay and hood with Black Appliance Enamal and added hood insulation...I'll post some pics later.....

·
Registered
122 Posts
I think it looks best black. Unless you are painting your firewall and inner fenders body color. In that case it would look better painted body color.

·
Registered
56 Posts
hmmm now you have me second guessing i was going to do body color but now that i think about it black would look cleaner than body color i think. :confused:

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
I think that a semi-gloss black or matte black looks best in a stock engine compartment. I like the looks of the body color painted engine compartment when the car has a modified engine compartment.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I think that a semi-gloss black or matte black looks best in a stock engine compartment. I like the looks of the body color painted engine compartment when the car has a modified engine compartment.

Very well said.:yes:

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
IMO black looks good. I have a 62 and it has 4 depressions on the inside, in between the supports. I thought about all the insulation products out there but didnt like the look of a shiny surface. Too bling for my car. Im going for more of the sleeper look with strong components and less bling.

So I went to the local fabric store, you know, where alot of ladies looking for fabric for dresses and things hang out. They see me walk in and geeze!! They think Im there to rob the place LOL Funny, guess they dont get too many guys in there. But they were pretty helpful.

I found some cloth, its like a wool material, black as black can be. I liked it so I bought two yards of it. Took it home and cut off a patch and proceeded to try and burn it. Yeah, I wanted to see how much heat it could take and where the flame point was.

Well, I stepped up in temps to see, experimenting. First was my heat gun which is an industrial unit, it will burn you bad. So I tested a strip of the cloth with it. No flare up, no melting unless I kept it one one spot for a long time, prolly getting it up to 500 plus degrees and it wouldnt burn (catch fire) but it did crisp after awhile, didnt melt but got crispy.

Then I found some backer board, its believe it or not an Elmers product, yeah, the glue company. Its light, easy to work and very stiff for its weight.
I also checked it for heat issues. Didnt melt, under a fairly high temp so I used it.

I cut out panels and glued the fabric to the panels then used some industrial adhesive to glue them to the hood after I painted it in my favorite under hood and chassis black. Looks good in person. And it does a great job of damping the hood noise. Time will tell how it hold up. JR

Some pics, they were bad pics, too dark to see so I photoshoped them to lighten them up, kinda washed out the darkness of them.

click to see a larger pic.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
I was wondering with the different methods of painting under the hood. I was thinking about using some materials mentioned like the rhino or just extra materials. Im concerned about the hood trapping in alot of engine heat. Not to say some of the ideas dont look good but that was my main concern.

I may just stick to just painting it black and leaving it at that. My understanding is to stick with reflective materials to reduce heat.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
If your painting the car a light color like gold I would do it body color, think it looks better and presents a detailed engine better. If dark body then a black would look good. As for paint I wouldn't worry about the heat hurting it, lots od us have had painted hoods without insulation installed and have never damaged the paint.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
Rhino

I was wondering with the different methods of painting under the hood. I was thinking about using some materials mentioned like the rhino or just extra materials. Im concerned about the hood trapping in alot of engine heat. Not to say some of the ideas dont look good but that was my main concern.

I may just stick to just painting it black and leaving it at that. My understanding is to stick with reflective materials to reduce heat.

I know I mentioned the Rhino truck liner for under the trunk thinking it looked good and would deaden sound, but, I don't think under the hood would be such a good idea. I thought I read somewhere that when it gets too hot it gets gooey and then almost melts. You wouldn't think that would be true because if it sat out in the sun in the right places it would get real hot too. I'd try to get the specs and see if underhood temps were within it's limits.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts

I know I mentioned the Rhino truck liner for under the trunk thinking it looked good and would deaden sound, but, I don't think under the hood would be such a good idea. I thought I read somewhere that when it gets too hot it gets gooey and then almost melts. You wouldn't think that would be true because if it sat out in the sun in the right places it would get real hot too. I'd try to get the specs and see if underhood temps were within it's limits.
The Rhino coating is tough!!! I shot the hood (inside) of one of my other cars with a hand held temperature gauge after some hot driving and it was only at 155ish degrees. That was full sun and after some heated driving in 90 degree weather.

The hood doesnt get too hot. JR

1 - 20 of 22 Posts