Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I need to paint the grill and headlight bezels.

The grill must have been replaced at some point in time. (It is silver)

And the paint as worn off the bezels to the point it's hard to tell for sure what should have paint.

Can anyone tell me exactly what to paint and what not to paint ???
Pictures would really help too.

Also is this suppose to be "Satin Black"

This is a 1972 Nova SS (not sure which other years had the same painted grills)

Also what color is the filler panel that goes between the grill and the front bumper suppose to be ?
Mine looks like it has NO paint at all.
I was thinking of painting it the body color, but I have been looking at many pictures and some seem to be silver, some seem body color, some seem dull like mine ?????

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
I found that bumper black duplicolor is real close to the original sheen.

Also the filler should be argent silver to be correct.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Toms73NovaSS, Thank you very much !!!! That picture is just exactly what I was looking for :D

I'll probably get started on it this weekend. Do you have to remove the bumper to remove the grill ?

I think I will try the body color first on the filler and see if I like it, after all, If it doesnt look right it's only spraypaint, and I can spray argent silver right over it.

strtlegal, Your car looks awsome !:chev:

·
Premium Member
8,478 Posts
The picture Tom73NovaSS posted above is 100% percent correct. What is posted in the ebay ad has the grill correct, but the bezels are not correct.

Randy (Same for a 71-72 Rally Nova);)

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
In the ebay ad what makes the bezels incorrect? Maybe the have not been painted yet.

·
Premium Member
8,478 Posts
I will bet that once the buyer has received them, and painted all but the top and bottom horizontal bars black, that they will be correct.;) I don't think the seller is going to paint them. He is putting together a kit of repop parts that he sells.

Randy (they don't repop SS bezels, but you can paint them!);)

·
Premium Member
2,053 Posts
and i think whats even more correct than toms73 posted. is from 69-72 on the headlamp bezels, the top and bottom bar are silver PLUS that flat surface that goes vertical between each rib ( if that makes sense) is painted silver as well

·
Premium Member
8,478 Posts
Original 69 bezels don't have the vertical bar. The difference between 68 and 69 bezels is the headlight adjustment holes. 70-72 have the vertical bar, and all were painted. SS and Rally bezels are the same, and the bar is painted. Non-SS bezels have all bright bars, but the vertical bar is still painted black.

I understand what you are saying, but what Tom posted is correct.

Randy (both of my Novas had the vertical bar painted);)

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
72SSskyroof said:
Toms73NovaSS, Thank you very much !!!! That picture is just exactly what I was looking for :D

I'll probably get started on it this weekend. Do you have to remove the bumper to remove the grill ?

I think I will try the body color first on the filler and see if I like it, after all, If it doesnt look right it's only spraypaint, and I can spray argent silver right over it.

strtlegal, Your car looks awsome !:chev:
No you don't have to remove the bumper.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I didnt get to the grill yet.
(New Master Cylinder, some carb work, and new plug wires, took a little longer than expected.)

Thanks for the great info !!!

Reproduction parts that are not correct :eek: SAY IT IS'NT SO :eek: ;) :D
Just kidding, I have already had my share of wrong reproductions, that is why these sites are GREAT!!!

I'll defenetly go with info and facts given to me by this site. And paint mine just like this one.

And as an added bonus this should be easier to paint this way. (Not very often is the easiest way the right way!)

One other question ??? Does the silver that wraps over the top stay silver or does it get painted ??? (ANY PICTURES ?) :confused:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I got my grill and headlight bezels painted and I think they look great !
I used krylon semi flat black, not too dull and not too shiny :D

I painted the filler panel the body color "cream yellow"

and now I dont like it :mad: mostly because New spray paint doesnt match 33 year old paint very well,
and I think subconciously it bothers me knowing it is not correct.:eek:

So I am going to repaint it with argent silver, reading on here and other sites I have read many posts saying you can buy "Rally Wheel Silver" spray paint at Checker/ Zone /Pepboys.
I have gone to Checker and the Zone, and they dont have this, can anyone who has bought this direct me to where they bought it, and who it is made by. ???
(Note: I have my bumper and bezels removed I am looking to pick up a spray can locally, ordering a $20+ spray can and waiting for shipping is not an option :( )

1 - 16 of 16 Posts