Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to paint the chrome trim around my windshield, rear window, and around the doors and rear quarter windows on my 74 Nova Hatchback. Does anyone have a good procedure for doing so? I just want to make sure i do this right the first time.

·
6,497 Posts
I painted the lower windshield trim, the door trim, and the quarter glass trim on my 73 years ago and it's held up fine. I tried to wrap the color around the edges of the trim and then also the clear coats and personally I would not try and paint the trim while on the car (excpet maybe the door trim as this is a paint to remove and reinstall without damage). I think I may have also totally sprayed the trim with clear to encase it so I didn't have any tape edges that could get hung up on something and chip easier. Thinking about it, on my 73 I also sanded and painted the wiper arms and continued the graphics off of the hood onto them so they blend in more on the car.

It's been years since I did mine but it seems to me I really scuffed the trim as some was stainless and some was anodized aluminum and I used some type of PPG brand epoxy primer.

Another reason to remove the trim is to prep it by removing any old wax and dirt build up along edges and also on the backside.

I would be leary about doing any mud work to fill dings or dents but instead work them out with a small headed hammer and dolly. I would then apply the primer, block them and if there are some low spots, shoot those spots with some more primer to raise them up and then block sand again and repeat as necessary to get them right.

Jim

1 - 2 of 2 Posts