Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do I have to worry about what paint I use or damaging the helmet, if I want to custom paint one? Or can I just scuff and paint away, bc/cc?

·
Premium Member
4,612 Posts
i've been told that you can compromise the structural integrity (solvent soaks into the material and creates softening) by painting a helmet.better safe than sorry-call or e-mail the helmet maker and ask them.
can you apply vinyl decals instead? a good applicator can do almost anything you'd like and there's no risk to the helmet or your head inside it:D
leftcoast carl.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I've never known anyone to use anything other than automotive paint. Also had a friend that used to paint helmets at Simpson Racing years ago. He never said anything about any special paint.. But I guess its possible.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Just dont paint it with something flamable.

·
Registered
3,959 Posts
My son is an ice hockey goalie. When he was in youth hockey we did fair amount of research and found that if a goalie mask or hockey helmet had to be painted by a certified painter. If not the the mask or helmet would lose it's certification and was not allowed and considered illegal equipment in USA Hockey and Canadian Amateur Hockey. I would check with the governing body before you paint it.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by firebird77clone View Post
do you intend to crash?

If not, then paint the sucker.

build it to crash and hope you don't x2

1 - 11 of 11 Posts