Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y'all - I'm in the early stages of planning out painting my car. I think I'll do it myself again, as I've had experience with HVLP guns and custom paint in the past.

I've got a 1964 in the Chevy II blue we're all familiar with. Anyways! Has anyone used "the coating store.com" before? How's the quality? Any where else I should be looking for a comparable deal ($350 for a car "kit")??

Here's the stuff I'm looking at: Aqua Azure poly

Thanks!

·
Vendor
1,762 Posts
I have been out of the paint and body world since 2004, but you could not buy top-shelf materials then for that amount. I am not familiar with that brand, but I know a lot of bargain stuff has come on the market with the explosion of the muscle / collector car world. If this is a budget, it is probably fine. If you are seeking longevity and quality of application, it may not be. We used PPG and Glasurit products.

·
Vendor
1,762 Posts
Out of my own curiosity I called a friend that paints cars out of his home shop as a hobby, not professionally. He had never heard of the brand and thought the price was unusually low. He uses Nason and DuPont. I remember Nason being used on stuff like collision work on low-end cars. He said some of the cheaper brands have little-to-no UV protection element, and the color will flatten or fade within a few years.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Do u plan on painting the jambs, and under hood, etc?... I paint for a living in a high production paint shop at about 25 jobs a week, and your going to be hard pressed to paint an entire car with that kit. I worked at a resto shop and sprayed many restoration. I usually would order 8 quarts sparyable (your kit looks like its 6 quarts sprayable). The 8 quarts is a really good start or is usually enough. Depending on if doing the Underhood, like a chevelle or if there are are bunch of trinkets like on a 76 Camaro, Paint gets used up really fast on small parts. On these nova there really isnt a lot of exterior small parts, but your going to be hard pressed at 6 quarts in my opinion. Then if u have to order more paint thats another shipping bill and who knows when that one can was mixed and color could be off. Me, personally for a cheaper line of true and tested,I would go with omni paint(ppg) preferably mc 161 clear. It's around 200 a gallon sprayable(which gives you 6 quarts), and from my experience any clear that's around 200 a gallon is decent stuff. At my work I spray $600 a gallon clear but it does wonders and is the best of best. I would try avoiding any clear that is around $100 a kit because the UV protection is less than something more expensive. Also ppg paint is friendly with selling in small quantities so you dont have to buy a whole quart of hardener only to have 3/4 of it sit on the shelf because you didnt use it. Are you stripping the paint down to bare metal?

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do u plan on painting the jambs, and under hood, etc?... I paint for a living in a high production paint shop at about 25 jobs a week, and your going to be hard pressed to paint an entire car with that kit. I worked at a resto shop and sprayed many restoration. I usually would order 8 quarts sparyable (your kit looks like its 6 quarts sprayable). The 8 quarts is a really good start or is usually enough. Depending on if doing the Underhood, like a chevelle or if there are are bunch of trinkets like on a 76 Camaro, Paint gets used up really fast on small parts. On these nova there really isnt a lot of exterior small parts, but your going to be hard pressed at 6 quarts in my opinion. Then if u have to order more paint thats another shipping bill and who knows when that one can was mixed and color could be off. Me, personally for a cheaper line of true and tested,I would go with omni paint(ppg) preferably mc 161 clear. It's around 200 a gallon sprayable(which gives you 6 quarts), and from my experience any clear that's around 200 a gallon is decent stuff. At my work I spray $600 a gallon clear but it does wonders and is the best of best. I would try avoiding any clear that is around $100 a kit because the UV protection is less than something more expensive. Also ppg paint is friendly with selling in small quantities so you dont have to buy a whole quart of hardener only to have 3/4 of it sit on the shelf because you didnt use it. Are you stripping the paint down to bare metal?
Taking the paint down to bare, or close to - and getting everything as straight as possible, then priming it. Not doing underhood or under trunk lid - and wasn't really focusing on the jambs, either.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Lewie, your post explains things well. The painter doing my car used six quarts of Deltron DBU 2000 color, (no underhood but everything else). I thought that was a bit more base ($160/qt) than I expected......I had not considered the "sprayable" aspect.
Thx for the explanation.

·
Premium Member
483 Posts
I have used their products in the past. There okay, painted my sons truck when he was in high school, it was his daily so I wanted a decent finish at a budget price. The paint has held up reasonably well over the years but as mentioned above, get more than you think you will use, I learned this the hard way. I ran out after painting the cab, had to order more for the bed, for the most part you can't tell but in the right light you can see the bed and the cab are different, I regret not getting enough on the first order and mixing. Here are a couple of shots of the truck in process, this was a garage paint job and I am not a professional, this was my first time shooting color.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have used their products in the past. There okay, painted my sons truck when he was in high school, it was his daily so I wanted a decent finish at a budget price. The paint has held up reasonably well over the years but as mentioned above, get more than you think you will use, I learned this the hard way. I ran out after painting the cab, had to order more for the bed, for the most part you can't tell but in the right light you can see the bed and the cab are different, I regret not getting enough on the first order and mixing. Here are a couple of shots of the truck in process, this was a garage paint job and I am not a professional, this was my first time shooting color. View attachment 401523 View attachment 401524 View attachment 401526
That turned out great, dude.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts