Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really need to get the 67 wagon stripped and I found only 2 or 3 Automotive Strippers (would prefer Soda) and I just recieved a price from the first company.

(I am truely in disbelieve as others her have qouted $600-1000 in their area)

- Wagon shell ($1700-1850)
- Hood ($100-125)
- Tailgate/Deck lid ($85-95)
- Front Fenders ($65-75 ea)
- Inner fenders ($45-55 ea)
- Doors ($85-95 ea)

So, it would be $2445-2710 (plus tax) ?!?!

Hell, I can't afford that !!!

Anyone know of any other Soda Blasters in or around Ohio?

-Brent Thomas

·
Premium Member
9,228 Posts
You might also consider walnut shell. Soda will only take off layers of paint one at a time. Walnut shell will take out old bondo, rust etc. so you see what you really have to work with.

Those prices sound very high. As I have posted here before, I had mine stripped (walnut shell) for around $600. Later I took a door there and it was $35 from what I remember...that was 3-4 years ago.

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
dipped or blast

Funny you posted this thread I just got off the phone looking to find someone to blast my 69 they quoted me $2000 shell,doors,hood,&trunk with soda I can't even find someone to do it with walnut.I talked to second guy who does acid dipping he wants $1850 and will put a protective coating that will only stop flash rusting for about one week and it's water based so if it gets wet I'm done.What should I do?I like the acid dip but how do I paint the places that are hard to get at ie. inside 1/4's at trunk?Open to any opinions.

·
Banned
389 Posts
Body Stripping

taz3 said:
Funny you posted this thread I just got off the phone looking to find someone to blast my 69 they quoted me $2000 shell,doors,hood,&trunk with soda I can't even find someone to do it with walnut.I talked to second guy who does acid dipping he wants $1850 and will put a protective coating that will only stop flash rusting for about one week and it's water based so if it gets wet I'm done.What should I do?I like the acid dip but how do I paint the places that are hard to get at ie. inside 1/4's at trunk?Open to any opinions.
If you can bring your body across the river to Michigan I have a shop near me that does an excellent job using plastic media and walnut shells for stripping, and price is very reasonable.

·
Banned
389 Posts
Stripping

BTHOMAS67Wagon said:
I really need to get the 67 wagon stripped and I found only 2 or 3 Automotive Strippers (would prefer Soda) and I just recieved a price from the first company.

(I am truely in disbelieve as others her have qouted $600-1000 in their area)

- Wagon shell ($1700-1850)
- Hood ($100-125)
- Tailgate/Deck lid ($85-95)
- Front Fenders ($65-75 ea)
- Inner fenders ($45-55 ea)
- Doors ($85-95 ea)

So, it would be $2445-2710 (plus tax) ?!?!

Hell, I can't afford that !!!

Anyone know of any other Soda Blasters in or around Ohio?

-Brent Thomas
Brent: Seattle Mike is right on target about using walnut shells for stripping. Definitely does a nice job, only drawback is all the dust and debris that needs to be blown and vacuumed out of all the cracks and cervices before epoxy priming the body. Not that big of a deal, just time consuming to get it all.

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
Hey SparkySS I might take you up on that if can get an enclosed trailer to get the car down that way or even to buy shells.I have a guy that said I could have use of his tools if I could find walnut shells I'd be all set.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How durable are Walnut Shells?
Are their any Walnut shell Differences?

Like the ones sold through Eastwood?
http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemID=1311&itemType=PRODUCT

I have the 150 pound pressure blaster, but don't know how many bags I would have to go through and how many hours of blasting it would take me?!?! (especially if the walnut shells are only reusage 1 or 2 rounds??)

-Brent Thomas
Ohio

·
Premium Member
2,220 Posts
I called a place here in Vegas today and was quoted $1000. All I'm having done are the quarters, dash, and trunk. He said he would be soda blasting it. I asked what it would be for the whole car and was quoted between $2500-2800.:eek: Looks like I'll either be stripping it by hand, or hauling it to L.A.
Seems you can get better deals out there. I guess there's not much demand for blasting her in Vegas.

·
Banned
389 Posts
Stripping Media

taz3 said:
Hey SparkySS I might take you up on that if can get an enclosed trailer to get the car down that way or even to buy shells.I have a guy that said I could have use of his tools if I could find walnut shells I'd be all set.
Here's a place you might be able to get your walnut shells from. I bought some Black Diamond from them, very helpful and knowledgable guy, his name is Don.
www.consolidatedstripping.com
or;
Matt (the owner) at Modern Stripping in Clinton Twp., tell him Nova Mike sent you.
ph.586-463-9020

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
Thanks for the link I'll givem a call.Waiting to strip my car is holding me up.

Taz

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
I had my car completly media blasted in Clinton twp. Michigan by the Strip it company. Some of the finest cars and trucks in Michigan have gone through this place and are recomended by restorers and painters all around. When my car was done he had cars in there as far away as New York. Stacy sold out a few years back and retired, He stayed on with the new owner awhile and from what I have heard the quality is still second to none. He did my whole car inside and out from top to bottom for 600.00 dollars. Did the car the same day I got it to him and charged me a 100.00 dollars less after doing it because he could not find any rust what so ever. Now I was in and out of his shop talking about and watching him do other cars for 6 months before I was ready to have my car done. We became somewhat friends doing the process and could not of found a nicer man. He took alot of pride in every car or part he did and it payed off in the long run with the quality of work he did. I saw him do everything from streetrods to vettes. I even saw him media blast some old all aluminum car and the panels came out as smooth as silk. Just remember all blasters are not equal and it shows in their work.

·
Registered
131 Posts
aircraft quality paint stripper... comes in a can like spray paint. i use it to take off factory paint off intakes, blocks and heads. just spray it on, wait a few minutes and the paint will blister then you just hose it down. dosnt leave any residue either.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
there's this paint thinner called jasco that you can buy at home depot or a hardware store but this stuff is a gel and literally makes the paint bubble off you can sit there and watch it and in a matter of seconds the paint is gone

1 - 13 of 13 Posts