Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

im currently preparing my 77 Nova for painting. And My first plan was to paint it like this:

But since that some things have changed. For example the stock hood will be replaced with a 2.5" cowl hood.

And in the last weeks i started woundering if it would look good to ADD camaro stripes also to the SS side stripes. I would like to know what you guys this of adding camaro stripes to the SS stripes...

Do you think that would bee too much white stripes on a black car?

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Personally, I don't like how "skunk stripes" look on Novas. They look good on Camaros and Chevelles but just not Novas (in my opinion). Plus, you see them EVERYWHERE!

I'd rather see you so something different; some sort of side stripe. Something similar to a Yenko stripe (but different enough so people don't think you're trying to make it a Yenko). Maybe a Camaro-type "hockey stick" stripe that goes up the front of the fender and back along the body line:

Maybe something smaller and in the opposite direction like this:

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your input. Looks nice too. Yeah i will defenitely think through some different oprions also.

But the advantage i have here in germany is, that there are almost no US cars. And therefore even the "skunk stripes" (funny name...didnt know) are really rare.

I havent seen too many pics of 4th gen Novas with the stripes. And of course i have never seen another Nova except mine in person. So any input on this is highly appreciated.

·
Registered
624 Posts
A friend of mine has a 75 SS painted with exactly the same layout you are talking about, but not the same colors. His car was originally yellow with black rocker accents. He had it repainted many years ago with a burgundy base with dark burgundy stripes and SS rocker accents. It looks good to me, but because the two colors he chose are similar, it works well together. I really don't know how well it would look with black/white.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you maybe have some pics of that car? I would love to see some pics.

Maybe i can try to do some photoshop work to see it in colors ;)

·
Registered
624 Posts
Canter said:
Do you maybe have some pics of that car?
I would love to see some pics.
Sorry, I don't. If he gets it out anytime soon, I'll take a couple for you.

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
I think the stripes look kinda bad on the 4th gens. The trunk area looks wrong. I'd ditch the rocker panel stripes and do what Scott was talking about with the hockey sticks. I'd also pass on the chrome around the wheel wells.

Kev

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah the front i am not worried about. but on the rear it might look a bit ugly. If the Nova had a Camaro style rear spoiler it would be ok i think.... But there is no afaik

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you Scott,

But i think the proportions of the stripes dont look correct on thouse novas.

I looked through Cardomain and found some pics, which look a bit better.. but im still not 100% happy:

I even found a Nova that is close to the design i was thinking off. Wrong colors and again the proportions seem to be off a bit. Also the wheels arches are not painted white too.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I'll mention one other thing since I see a lot of it in the pics in this thread. Don't stripe the roof! IMHO it just doesn't look right. Ford did that with some of their cars, but I don't think Chevy ever did.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
NOVANUT77 said:
I'll mention one other thing since I see a lot of it in the pics in this thread. Don't stripe the roof! IMHO it just doesn't look right. Ford did that with some of their cars, but I don't think Chevy ever did.

Yeah - wasn't planning to.

Think that looks wired.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Canter,

The gold stripes on the back of the black car in Scott's 1:38 PM post look nice, but I'm not too crazy about finishing the stripe before the bottom of the trunk lid. Camaros rounded their stripes near the windows and finished straight down to the bottom edge for a more "GM-style" look.

I agree with the previous post: don't stripe the roof. It just doesn't look right.

You can always go with the rocker only stripe without the wheel arch. Scott did it to his Nova and it looks really good. (Yes, I'm also partial to silver Novas.)

Jay

1 - 14 of 14 Posts