Chevy Nova Forum banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I'm glad to see people keeping this topic alive, it's something every car owner will face. To update my deal, I found a retired guy that likes to do bodywork to fill his time, and he is doing a great job. He took the car down to bare metal, fixed all the rust, dents, dings and today is shooting the final primer on it. He did it for $20 hour, about 175 hours work, plus materials. Will have about $4k in all this work. He won't do final painting, but a buddy of his does. I'm waiting on his pricing now. Both of them have over 40 years experience doing this. I feel like I got a great deal so far. I'll post some pics later. He's kept a photo journal of everything he's done and will give it to me when finished. I was lucky to find this guy. I did it the old fashioned way, talking to gearheads and following up leads. Thanks everyone for the feedback on this. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
16 Posts
$10k-$15k for a complete paint job is pretty normal in the classic car world. My problem over the years is that I've gotten cars so nice that it didn't get driven nearly a small much as I wanted. The 71 that I'm doing now, I'm gonna spray it satin black and drive it. I just can't spend more on the paint than I'm going to have in the car for everything else.

I used to have a friend that's owned a body shop. I could do all the prep and take it to him to spray in his booth. That was the best. It was "as is" with no warranty, but I knew going in. He has passed away and I just haven't developed that relationship with somebody else.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Painting

Painting a car is one of the most time consuming & expensive parts of our hobby as anything you take on you have to know your limits i do all my own paint work and if you seen what possible with basic coaching your garage job could be great.

I am in the end part of my paint job on my 1964 Ranchero i have painted just about every car i have owned i understand what it takes and the investment in the right equipment.

Dont kid yourself paying a shop will cost more than expected i always say 10k to 15k its takes alot of time if you working alone and rust / metal work just adds to the cost.

It's one of the most reward things you will every do.

My Boss 302 Mustang was my last restoration i know it a Ford it took me 1 year and LOTS of $$ my wife believes i am crazy when i start a project but that what it takes unless you want a 5 year project

You have some very nice car projects and talent!

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
the paint on my 66 nova was done in 1991. i looks good an a nice shine with no rust but could be nicer, but 10,000 plus on a new paint is not going to happen. an i drive this one when i want to. an i do get compliments on the paint an when i tell the person how old the paint is they looked shocked its still so nice.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I agree with drm101 and the others saying the same thing. The cost is in materials and labour.
In my case I did ALL the labour (blocking by hand - no power tools) and bought all the materials staying inside one product line; applied much research and even sourced a friendly local painter for insights into these same products. I had my son (experienced but not professional) spray primer, sealer, colour and multiple clears using his equipment (with filters) while I did the blocking, cut and polish and I can tell you from honest hands-on experience.....you DO NOT want to EVER do that ever again! 😓

The result? Exactly the level I wanted - a DD. Now, for that amount of effort to achieve that level of quality, I completely understand why the pros charge as they do. Almost ANYBODY can learn to spray.....the effort is all in the prep. My son never popped a bead while I probably lost 15 pounds! (Took four weeks start to finish - only 1 day all in for spays)

If you have it in you to correctly blocksand for hours and days then cut and polish for almost an equal amount of time....then you got this! Otherwise, start saving and keep shopping for pros. It's real work that takes planning.... and it's just that simple. (Yeah, I know...my passenger door needs to be adjusted but I'm finally driving it!!!!)
Tim

·
Registered
352 Posts
My car is just about to get shot with color, after a year getting worked on on weekends.
I started out just like you, wanting a driver quality job, nothing crazy.
Turns out, the guy I'm using (old friend of my wife's) is a perfectionist.
The car had some rust and we decided to get it blasted to make sure we got everything and nothing surfaced in 5-10 years. We didn't find any more rust, but the car had been rear ended in the 80's we guess. The drivers quarter was pretty ripply and the sail was screwed. He spent a TON of time actually straightening that quarter instead of taking a hammer to it and filling with body filler like they did before. (but again, it was done in the 80's and we couldn't tell)

He charged me $25/hr plus materials. At least at first. Since he lobbied me so hard to get it blasted and we didn't find any more rust, he hasn't charged me since month 3.

All in, I will have a new hood, core support, full floor pans, and a tail light panel. Complete with undercoating.

I have spent about $10,500 on the body. This guy worked at a high end restoration shop near Seattle before becoming a cop (during this whole mess)
Say this work would easily be about $40k at that shop. With stripping and metal work.

He will be shooting with what he says is a more economical base coat but a high quality clear.
I wasn't looking for this level of body restoration, but for what has been done, I really feel I'm getting a smokin' deal.
This is just an example of how much has gone into this for the money. You can see how screwed the drivers quarter is compared to now and there is very little filler.
You just never know what lies beneath.

Attachments

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Brought the car home yesterday, and I'm thrilled with the bodywork. The guy that did the work said since the virus hit and he's kinda homebound, he spent extra time on my car perfecting things. He said he didn't charge me for many hours of work just to keep him busy. Ready for this, final total material and labor price $3,200. He gave me "retired guy
20200401_155849_resized.jpg
discount".

Attachments

·
Registered
578 Posts
Bob, it looks great and at a good price.

Picked up and installed my hood yesterday so my 2-year paint ordeal is finally finished.
Final tally; $9300 labor and $3200 in material.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Bob, it looks great and at a good price.

View attachment 402410 Picked up and installed my hood yesterday so my 2-year paint ordeal is finally finished.
Final tally; $9300 labor and $3200 in material.
Alf, I would never have the patience to deal with that for 2 years. I hope you're at least pleased with the final product. I'd like to see more pics of your car sometime. Thanks, Bob.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts