Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1965 Nova 2 Door Hardtop
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a modern day paint code for the red interior paint on a 65 Nova? The paint code on the car is R. I see different names for the R code , Flame red, Regal Red and dark red. Any and all help appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
3,837 Posts
It's a difficult problem if you want to get the colors correct. Of course, the dash is still a different color, and the top of the dash (if there is no dash pad) is still another color. Not easy to match from samples, as red often fades badly.

I have seen a '64 GM book with paint chips and color codes that also had color codes for interior colors. Of course, the problem is is that they are codes for old Dulux or PPG paints which aren't being mixed anymore, so that's out.

For my '62, I just matched the dash and interior trim colors to the original ashtray, which seemed to be the least faded paint on the dash. I had a dash pad, so the unique, glare less finish of the top of the dash wasn't an issue. As my car was a 400 series, the steering wheel was two-toned, and had to have a light color match for the inserts on the wheel. Not easy to do. I changed the exterior color of my vehicle from original, but I wanted the interior colors to match original and have original upholstery.

Super interested in other members who have faced the same problem and where they have gotten their paint codes, or better yet, how they were mixed and with what type of modern paint.

·
13,698 Posts
Here's the interior paint information for 1965 Chevrolets. I believe there are body people who can convert these old codes into modern mixes. Perhaps there are folks here at SNS who can lead us to these people.

All 1965 Chevrolets, except Corvette, used Regal Red (Code R) as the exterior red color. Per the attached sheet, it appears the interior reds for these cars may all have been slightly different. I don't know which red was used on the 1965 Chevy II interiors. As Frank mentions above, reds fade badly over the years and it's very difficult to determine an original shade from looking at a 50+ year old car interior.

I've posted this 1965 info before, but here it is again for what it's worth. The bracketed numbers are degrees of gloss/flat. '0' is totally flat. '100' is full gloss.

Bob

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts