Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone has a pic of a 78 with code 67 Saffron met. paint.It's the orginal color for my Nova and far as I can find out and only offered in 78.It been repainted black a couple of times,would like to see what it would look like orginally.Thanks

·
Registered
857 Posts
code 67 saffron met.

I've seen that code on a 78 Nova Rally it's the paint code 67 according to the vin tag on the firewall.But I'm confused cause the color is in the brown family with a little maroon tint maybe.But the caddy is more burnt orange and no where near the color on the Rally, although the car was faded but for sure it was original paint and was the code 67. I have pics of the Rally, Perhaps you can ge an idea from them. I was gonna buy this car couple of years ago when it was on RJ for sale.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Code 67

I've found the same thing all the gm models and years seem to differ.I ordered a half pint for a trial run,haven't sprayed it yet,but looks like redish brown.Were as most I found online are the burnt orange to yellow.Going to prep a sample next week and see what it looks like.Seems to be a rare color for a Nova,.Thanks for info

·
Registered
857 Posts
67 paint code

Kinda does to me too. but the Rally is faded.So maybe it looks more orange when its fresh. or may have a lighter bace coat under it like, a gold or copper color. maybe the more coats you add the darker it seems too. Be interesting to see what it looks like,I agree that it would look better than black.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I dont think the GM factory used a basecoat of any kind. The Caddy looks more orange because the paint is fresh and its under the sun. Also yours might be an inexact repaint, perhaps. I dont see the original Rally stripes.

This would look great with a tan interior, although black and red would work in a pinch.

Oldyeller77's car is somewhat similar in color so you can get an idea... It will be more orange though.

·
Registered
857 Posts
dlezama was right Oldyeller77's nova is sweet go check out his car if you have'nt already. Specially when he just painted it Thats a pretty color. l think its true that GM didnt use tinted sealers or bacecoats. Sunlight plays a big role in colors. I was gonna suggest pulling back the carpet or looking under the door seal plates depending on how extencive the color change was to see if theres any good color is left there. The Rally had been resprayed so hard to say how it looked origanally,but it did have red Rally stripes at one point. Is that an uncommon color combo?

·
Registered
582 Posts
Red stripes on saffron red? Sounds unusual and its probably rare, but might look very well if there is a significant color difference, like a gradation of reds. I suggest you try a stripe kit on if you are repainting it saffron, even if it sets you back some 200 dollars... Might be worthwhile seeing...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Code 67

Mine is not a Rally although it was a factory 305,auto.Trunk cover had some of the color but mainly just over spray,was hard to see what it really looks like.Oldyeller77 told me his was Sherwin Williams Megenta Mica,looks excellent.I'm going to do the factory color it's only 60 bucks more than gm black a gallon.So hopefully by late spring it will get splashed.I'll be posting more pics soon.Thanks for your time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts