Votes: 4 7.0%
  • Any paint color you can find

Votes: 39 68.4%
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to see what everyone thought about choice of paint colors. Either being original, chevy, or anything else.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I say pick a color you like. Go down to a paint store and check out a bunch of that color custom, stock chevy, or a little mix of both. If you ask nice they might let you take the book outside to check it in the sun. Ive got my choice of paint down to two white or a light silver but fade the paint darker as i go down to the rockers.

·
Premium Member
914 Posts
Hues

I've had my Nova in three 1969 Factory colors.
The Dover White it left the factory wearing
Butternut Yellow, which I really liked in the 1970's,
And now, since March, 2019, it is Dusk Blue Metallic.

The recent choice was between the Dusk Blue, and the ever popular Fathom Green. When it came down to decision time, I went with the dark blue, However next time the dark green may get its turn.

The poll you have does not offer: "Pick the color you really feel good about"
but that is my recommendation

·
Premium Member
3,931 Posts
I wanted to see what everyone thought about choice of paint colors. Either being original, chevy, or anything else.
Well
If you’re asking for opinions- get what you like.
My 67 was an original 74k one owner 283 3 on the tree car and was pretty solid.
They are only original once. I opted to paint my 67 gunmetal grey because I love the color. I have some regret painting it this color but I like it’s current look and I personally believe I increased its resale value.
Now if this is a race car- I wouldn’t paint it. My race cars get beat on and it’s not worth worrying about the paint on them.
My .02

·
Registered
629 Posts
I just went through the whole process of picking colors for my '63. It was originally ember red with red interior. This is supposed to be my forever car (and maybe it will be!) so I spent a bunch of time thinking about colors before it went to the paint shop. I'm not a big fan of ember red, but I really like red interiors ever since I worked on the Viper program and we had a 2015 Viper with a dark red interior for our development car. My first car I bought was a 1967 Chevelle SS 396 4 speed that was white with a black interior. Never should have sold that car, but painting the Nova white would tie that in. I saw an old off white fiat 500 with a red interior one day at the race track, and thought, "that's it!". Then I saw a VW bug that was off white with a red interior and loved that, too. Premium Auto, which is 1/8 mile from my house, painted the car. I had many, many discussions with Kurt there about colors. My head hurt. Cars Inc. gave me a sample of the vinyl seat material and it's a dark red, so we painted the interior to match the sample. I like that better than the original interior paint color which is a bright red. The white I chose is a solid GM white that is not bright white like Ermine White. It's a little more bone color than bright white. Easy to fix since there's no pearl or metallic in it. There's the long version of why I chose white/red! Now I just have to put the car all back together!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,750 Posts
The poll you have does not offer: "Pick the color you really feel good about" but that is my recommendation
X2!!!

I voted for "original colors only" because that's what I like to see 99% of the time. But - there are exceptions:
1. You just really don't like the original color or any of the other ones available that year.
2. The car was originally a color that looks terrible with its interior color.
3. You're trying to re-create a car (or 'look') that you've always wanted.
And, I'm sure there are other good reasons I can't think of right now!

I painted my '66 Tropic Turquoise in '72, right after I bought it because my dad bought one that color in '66 and I loved it. Now, I'm having serious thoughts about restoring that car to its original color (Danube Blue - almost black). I don't need any more cars, but I'd really love to find a '66 project that I could paint Tropic Turquoise and then restore the one I have now. All that would be required is good luck, time and lots of money... none of which ever seems to be available in the quantities needed!!

For your car, I'd say paint it the color YOU want! When asked for my opinion on builds, my usual advice is to find the car that makes you happy and build it so that it makes you smile every time you open the garage door! :D

·
Registered
154 Posts
I voted for original paint because I liked the LeMans blue on my '69. Getting the correct match for it today isn't so easy. I had to have it painted back in the early 70's due to soot fall out from the power plant where I worked so DuPont Imron enamel was used. Looked like a good match at the time. Drove an old car to work after that. Skip ahead to this year and the Nova needs to be painted again after a lot of body work. I got a PPG solvent base spray-out of Code 71 LeMans blue but it had a turquois tint to it which I found out comparing it at different car shows. I had no original painted parts good enough to get a good scan or comparison from since the car is now all in epoxy primer and other parts were scrapped. So I started looking here on SNS and found Taz3 had a '69 still in original LeMans blue paint. After pm'ing Taz3 he sent me a spray-out and matching piece of a panel which I then took to the local auto. paint mixing guys. Five spray-outs later, they got it! My car is not a nut and bolt restoration but I wanted to get as close as possible to the original color, which I'm happy to say I now have. I never thought it would wind up being an international search but it did, so a big "Thank you" to Taz3 and SNS which is the best source for all things "Nova!"
As for the paint I'm going with, it's tweaked PPG and looks really good and today's paints appear to have greater depth and changing hues depending on the lighting.

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
As mentioned above, Rudy and I had some fun trying to match original Lemans Blue, which my numbers car will be returned to. I also have a second L78 Nova that is also due for fresh paint. You can see the 3rd layer in my signature, where the car is red, previously yellow and originally Dusk blue. I think I'm going to go with a different color then the previous 3, because I'm not wanting to restore this car, just enjoy it. As others have said, unless you're trying to keep the car original or want to sell it, pick a color you'll enjoy seeing.

I had an S10 Blazer the was competition yellow (Corvette) and radar blue (S10) and not everyone had an appreciation for it, but I thought it looked great and enjoyed driving it. It would have been Dodge purple, but the local Chrysler dealer didn't want to be helpful with the paint code, fortunately GM released the Radar Blue shortly after.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I will not paint my Olds Omega in the matching red but will go for a color of the 73 model year - 64 silver (taupe).

Therefor wondering if someone has a 3rd gen Nova pic in the color code 64 as it was also available for Chevy Novas in 73

·
Registered
30 Posts
This is a great but tough question. My 1970 is 28 Fathom blue from the factory, the PO painted it red and raced the heck out of it. I think for value purposes painting the factory color is the best call. For pure enjoyment you should paint it whatever your heart desires. I might end up painting mine butternut (crocus) yellow or even Citrus green. I also like misty turquoise. These were all GM colors, except the lighter butternut yellow was not offered in the 1970 colors, closest was Gobi beige. I will cross this bridge when I get to it. I like the idea of getting some samples painted up and viewing them in different light stages.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I'm in the club for painting your car any color you like, sticking with an old color just because it was the original seems silly to me. The colors were chosen based on what would sell best, not based on what would look best on your car or what you like. Paint and colors have come a long way over the years, why stick with drum brakes just because they were original to your car when you could upgrade to disk? Its funny, no one seems to have a problem upgrading motors that were not original to their vehicles?:no:

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
I have two answers:

1) If you're restoring a numbers-matching show car, then by all means paint it a factory correct color.

For everybody else in the real world...

2) Paint it however you like I (which is how I voted).

Keep in mind that there really isn't any such thing as a Chevy paint or a Dodge paint. They each choose their particular colors and shades, then pick from a major paint supplier like PPG to create the paint for them. So, it's very likely Chevy and Dodge and any given foreign make wear the same brand of paint. My car is in the shop as we speak getting a sub-variant of 2009 Toyota Garnet Red Effect (Metallic). The supplier for my paint is PPG, but the same color is available from other suppliers, and had I gone with a different shop I probably would have used Nason paint. I went through a color catalog and picked the color closest to the burgundy I had in mind. I could care less that it appeared on a Toyota.

That said, it's your car. If you're stuck on Chevy 19xx colors, then go for it. I like stock colors and I like modern colors. If we all painted them the same, what a dull world it would be.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I just went through the whole process of picking colors for my '63. It was originally ember red with red interior. This is supposed to be my forever car (and maybe it will be!) so I spent a bunch of time thinking about colors before it went to the paint shop. I'm not a big fan of ember red, but I really like red interiors ever since I worked on the Viper program and we had a 2015 Viper with a dark red interior for our development car. My first car I bought was a 1967 Chevelle SS 396 4 speed that was white with a black interior. Never should have sold that car, but painting the Nova white would tie that in. I saw an old off white fiat 500 with a red interior one day at the race track, and thought, "that's it!". Then I saw a VW bug that was off white with a red interior and loved that, too. Premium Auto, which is 1/8 mile from my house, painted the car. I had many, many discussions with Kurt there about colors. My head hurt. Cars Inc. gave me a sample of the vinyl seat material and it's a dark red, so we painted the interior to match the sample. I like that better than the original interior paint color which is a bright red. The white I chose is a solid GM white that is not bright white like Ermine White. It's a little more bone color than bright white. Easy to fix since there's no pearl or metallic in it. There's the long version of why I chose white/red! Now I just have to put the car all back together!
Nice color combination

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I'd say any color you want it is your car And nothing wrong with it being different then anyone else. LakeLand.jpg CAM00229 SpeedWorld.jpg even though the color looks different in the photos it is not. Only thing different is the hood Size /shape.

·
Premium Member
2,561 Posts
Went to new car lots and looked at colors on cars. Went to all the manufactures and ended up picking Techno Orange off a 2017 Kia. Gave the paint code off the door to my painter. Good luck

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am trying to decide this same question, thanks to all who have posted, i think i will be picking a period correct color of my own choice.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts