Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I will be painting the Nova next year and want to find a reliable ,quality shop to paint and fix the body problems. There is no one in this area that can do a lasting quality job. I am thinking around $7500.00. What your suggestions and comments. This site has good answers and sound advice.

Thanks to all

·
Registered
826 Posts
This is a big and ongoing topic, hard to add anything new but here is my recent experience/advice.
Collision shops typically do no want to get involved w/ older, hobby cars. It interrupts production flows and are not money makers for them. This leaves you with custom shops ($$$) or the "single-guy" who does one car at a time at home and has no overhead. I chose the latter. Most areas have such a guy.....ask the local hot rodders.
The guy I used did the minor rust repair in the usual places, closed gaps, primed and blocked X3, painted, cut and buffed for $9300. I bought all of the primer and paint material, ($3,000) and did 100% of the disassembly/reassembly.
These are Coastal California prices and I bought all PPG products.
You might search the site for better advice, this site has a lot on the subject.
Good luck

·
Premium Member
1,881 Posts
Your looking at between 10k and 15k to bear metal door jambs under hood under trunk door frame any metal could push your job to 20k as everybody stated most shop want under 1 week turnaround jobs + most shops are T & M pay by the hour / every-week its very hard to get quality work lets not even talk how long its going to take.

I do all my own paint work most people dont has the skill / knowledge to do a great job.

Here my Boss 302 Mustang

·
Registered
375 Posts
I would say that everything that Alf said was spot on.
I’ve got a couple friends with large, successful auto body -collision repair shops, and I know from experience that they won’t even touch a project like mine. It actually costs them money to take on a hot rod project like ours. I’m very fortunate because I “know a guy”. If you’ve got some time before you want to have it done, ask around at the car shows, cruises, etc. There’s a good chance that you’ll find someone, who knows someone, who does it for the love of the hobby and will be reasonably priced.
Good luck, and make sure you take lots of before and after pictures for us.

·
Registered
203 Posts
A body shop would be insane to take on a project like this: you won’t be happy with the cost, and very unhappy with anything short of a show quality finish. If you can’t do the bodywork yourself, sell your car and buy the nicest example you can find. This is almost always the best, and cheapest plan.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hello,
I will be painting the Nova next year and want to find a reliable ,quality shop to paint and fix the body problems. There is no one in this area that can do a lasting quality job. I am thinking around $7500.00. What your suggestions and comments. This site has good answers and sound advice.

Thanks to all
Hello,

Thanks to all

·
Registered
16 Posts
Keene72
Trust me when I say this , a 20k job on any hot rod let alone a nova is not going to be anywhere near what you want and you will see it in the quality as the price goes down. I’m a big fan of body and paint guys but the game has gotten so expensive , especially with California and water based 2 stage paints you can’t touch a car and make any money . When I started building novas , I new if I wanted to be in the game and have trick stuff I had to do a bunch myself .
You can strip a car yourself , advertise for body work on Craig’s list for just metal and basic body work . Then find a booth you can rent and find a guy to shoot it for you
I do a ton of cars this way . I do all my fab metal , body work , replacement panels and seal and prime myself now. . You gotta find a paint shop that loves the do it yourself dudes like us and they will know all the connections to help you get it done
I just finished another 66 ,did ALL the work except final base coat clear coat .
Here is my exact cost break down :
Metal- 685
Body consumables ( sand paper bondo tape. Two new inline sanders and orbital ) 625
Paint- 4700. ( ya I know it’s insane )
Paint booth rental - 500
PPG painter for hire ( he does all my stuff) 1000 cash base coat clear coat 5 coats
Labor-0. ( all me)

figure 8k on your own

I have won some big shows and everyone asks what my car costs me to shoot and I just laugh because every time people think I dropped 30k.
It’s doable , takes planning and networking with good people .

hope this helps , reach out to me if you have any questions or I can help you brother. The paint IS the entire car period , and an entire build can be ruined with a mediocre paint job.

·
Premium Member
1,881 Posts
Great Advice Paddy1966 i do it all myself as you know materials are VERY expensive people can't believe my personal painting results + i know how its done right plus i select my materials which makes a big difference in long term results the one thing that i need to do is fine a Rental booth shooting in my Garage is very hard.

Nova's paint is 10 years old
Boss 302 paint is 3 years old
Ranchero paint is 1 year old

I am a big fan of Southern Polyurethanes products

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hello,

Thanks to all
Hello,

Thanks to all
Thanks to all for feed back. Doing the bodywork myself is a no go. First no place to work, second tools and talent, and lastly asbestos exposure and a couple bouts with pneumonia. I have more experience with electrical and mechanical work. I can stipend rebuild 1 345,000 volt breaker with no problem, and given the information ,I can do any type of wiring you throw at me. The beast as I call the old Nova has had a hard life of neglect and I don't want to give up on her. Again Thanks to all ,as usual good constructive feedback.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Wow, you guys have done some fantastic paint jobs for not being pros. Thats something I've always wanted to do, especially since I've done all mechanical repairs and upgrades on all my project cars over the year. Paint and body is something I've never had a chance to tackle and with the cost of getting a professional to do this work I can see myself tackling paint n body. Excellent work guys!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts