Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having difficulty getting my primer to lay down flat. Using HOK KD2000 primer. I keep getting a splatter texture and no matter what I do there is texture of some degree or another. I've tried higher pressure which make the texture finer but still not smooth. Of course there the pattern sucks. At the correct pressure for an HVLP gun I get heavy splattering. I even tried buying another gun because I thought maybe there was an issue with my gun. I mixed it in the proper ratio. Measured with a lab beaker. I even tried thinning further than recommended to see if that would help.

I had the same problem with HOK KP21. I got it to spray good the first time I used it. After that I had the same issue. Based on the fact that it's two paints and two guns I can only assume I'm doing something wrong. I have no issues spraying the sealer of finish coats.

Could the paint be old? Or not reacting properly?

If anyone can provide some insight it would be appreciated. :(

·
Registered
250 Posts
Are you using a gun with the reccomended nozzle size? You may be able to reduce it a little more, but definitely play with the gun and air pressure adjustments on a test panel before spraying, especially with paint. It's funny how much grief people cause themselves because they get in a hurry and skip the test panel.
Here's some tips on HVLP gun adjustment:
http://jackpauhl.blogspot.com/2007/10/dialing-in-hvlp.html

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Recommended is 1.8 Thats what I'm using. Used a test panel and adjusted up and down the spectrum in air pressure, paint volume and pattern. I'm perplexed.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep. I have I have a dryer. Tried different distances. It's almost like the paint is gooey (thats a technical term) and it wants to coagulate. If wanted to texture my walls it would be perfect.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I'm not familiar with the brand of primer you're using. Does it use a reative reducer like a Sherwin Williams product? If there's a reactive reducer, they have a shelf life. Get past the shelf life, and it causes problems like that. Not saying that's your problem, but maybe.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I am by no means an expert, novice or even an amateur... But what guns, and what caps? Maybe try a 1.6, which is what I usually use for primer... Could be any of the above posts too...

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It has catalyst. Mixed 4 parts paint and 1 part reducer. You can further reduce with the appropriate reducer if desired but it's not supposed to be necessary.

DIRECT TO METAL PRIMERS & ACTIVATORS (KD2000 & KDA2000 SERIES)
KD2000 Direct to Metal Primer has been formulated with a hybrid of epoxy and acrylic polymers, which provide excellent adhesion, good corrosion resistance, productive dry times, and ease of sanding. These primers emit very low amount of Volatile Organic Chemicals (VOCs), Hazardous Air Polluting Solvents (HAPS), and contain no isocyanates. KD2000 may be applied to properly cleaned and sanded aluminum, steel, galvanized steel, sand blasted steel, fiberglass and SMC. Can be reduced up to 10% with RU reducer. Mix 4 parts KD2000 to 1 part KDA2000 to 1 part RU Series Reducer (for 2.1 VOC, RU300 must be used).

·
Registered
178 Posts
I'm no expert either, but here is my current experience. I've been using SPI epoxy. It is a 2 part primer and I haven't used a reducer. Been using the harbor freight purple gun that I bought for 15 buck and I'm using the tip that comes on it...not even sure what size the tip is. It's been going on really well. Mine started out with a little orange peel, but it was because I was too far away.

This is a 2 part primer you're using, right? Everything you're saying you've done makes me think it's the primer. You've done everything else and if you followed the mixing steps, it doesn't seem like there is much else you can do. I was thinking what some others were thinking...too far away, air pressure, taking too long to spray it out of the gun...but it sounds like you've gone thru these issues already. Can you try another brand of primer? Might be worth it to see if another brand presents the same problems.

Good luck, curious to see what it ends up being.

BD

·
5,127 Posts
I'm not familiar with the brand of primer you're using. Does it use a reative reducer like a Sherwin Williams product? If there's a reactive reducer, they have a shelf life. Get past the shelf life, and it causes problems like that. Not saying that's your problem, but maybe.
I think ken is on the right track, since you already tried another gun.
Recheck tech sheet, incorrect activator can cause congealing, sometimes rapidly.

Did you buy the primer at a swap meet?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I bought the paint from TCP Global. Today I ordered a different brand. Once I get that we'll find out if I'm truly incompetent or if it was a paint issue. I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update - while waiting for my other brand of paint to arrive I did some tinkering. I went to the Devilbiss site and found they had recommendations for House of Kolor primers. Well it seems that they recommend a smaller fluid tip. 1.4 versus the normal 1.8. So for fun I mixed up a small amount of paint and used the 1.5 tip I had. Sure enough it lays down much better. Not perfect but I think if I reduced it a little more it would be perfect. :yes: Certainly not the expected solution. Guess I purchased two quarts of primer I won't need.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts