Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering what kind of improvements a double roller timing chain would make. I have the opportunity to pick one up for $20 and was wondering if it would be worth it and how much trouble the install would be to make worth it.

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
The roller is more durable and stands more rpm.

There is no benefit to just change it.

Maybe pick it up and save it when you plan on a cam change.

Al

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i am definitely thinking about getting a cam as it's a good way to increase horspower cheaply, but i honestly no absolutely nothing about them. i don't even know what cam is in my car now, or if there is one? can a car not have a cam? this same person does have a cam, i asked for the information on it, he's asking very little for it so i am thinking of picking it up aswell.

·
Registered
670 Posts
i am definitely thinking about getting a cam as it's a good way to increase horspower cheaply, but i honestly no absolutely nothing about them. i don't even know what cam is in my car now, or if there is one? can a car not have a cam? this same person does have a cam, i asked for the information on it, he's asking very little for it so i am thinking of picking it up aswell.
yes your motor has a cam! unless it isn't running, then there is a chance there isn't one, but it needs one to run. trust me, you will wanna get all the info possible about the cam before buying it. you also need to check and see if your valve springs can handle the lift of the cam, and if your torque converter can handle the duration of the cam. there's way more to it than just swapping it out, unless it is a slightly milder than stock cam. keep asking questions though, you will get your answers eventually! hope i was of some help.

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
Oooohh!! Ok,,, This looks like a shelve the parts and get a book time. Its really a good idea to read up on projects before leaping in, and why do I know LOL Yeah, Ive lept before reading.

One of the best books I can recommend is called "chevrolet power". It will give you everything you need to know about engines. Mine is very old, but Im sure they are available. JR

Oh, and I have the third edition. So it may have changed. But it not a "power" type book meant for the gearhead. Its a GM technical manual that has great descriptions of all the working parts for stock engines. Shows some good pictures and diagrams of what all the parts are, including the cam or camshaft..

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yes your motor has a cam! unless it isn't running, then there is a chance there isn't one, but it needs one to run. trust me, you will wanna get all the info possible about the cam before buying it. you also need to check and see if your valve springs can handle the lift of the cam, and if your torque converter can handle the duration of the cam. there's way more to it than just swapping it out, unless it is a slightly milder than stock cam. keep asking questions though, you will get your answers eventually! hope i was of some help.
Haha, okay that's what I thought, but I had to ask. He called it a performance stock cam, if that's possibly what your talking about, being slightly better over a stock one. I'm still waiting on the rest of the info though. He hasn't gotten back to me yet.

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
In response to the original question: You won't notice any power difference. A double roller is usually a better quality chain (Cloyes or other name brand) but a no name, Ebay Chinese knock off may be worse.
I agree that you need to do a lot of reading before you spend money on a dubious collection of mismatched parts.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
depends

if your present chain has alot of slack , then you should regain some performance the old chain is costing you. Take off the distributor cap, and rock the harmonic balancer back and forth and notice on your timing tab how much you move the balancer before you see the rotor move. This will give you a fair idea ( but not exact ) how much slack there is in your present timing chain.

Alot of the old stock timing chain gears had some cam retard built into them. You might notice a small amount of new found bottom end if the double roller chain your looking has 3 different slots to mount the crank gear onto the crank. Straight up ( 0 advance ) or 4 degrees advanced should give you a little bottom end torque thats been hiding in the old chain. How much it helps depends on how bad the one is thats in there now

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
"To be honest all I know is that it came out of my 350 that i just rebuilt....I dont have the numbers on the cam but the motor is bored .030 over and i was told it is just one step above a stock cam. other then that im not sure but its all in good shape..."

That was all I got from the owner. :mad:

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
if your present chain has alot of slack , then you should regain some performance the old chain is costing you. Take off the distributor cap, and rock the harmonic balancer back and forth and notice on your timing tab how much you move the balancer before you see the rotor move. This will give you a fair idea ( but not exact ) how much slack there is in your present timing chain.

Alot of the old stock timing chain gears had some cam retard built into them. You might notice a small amount of new found bottom end if the double roller chain your looking has 3 different slots to mount the crank gear onto the crank. Straight up ( 0 advance ) or 4 degrees advanced should give you a little bottom end torque thats been hiding in the old chain. How much it helps depends on how bad the one is thats in there now
If a cam chain is stretched it will retard the cam timing, but simply replacing the chain will solve that.

I wouldn't advise advancing an unknown cam without knowing the specs. Most Comp cams are ground 4 degrees advanced. If you advance it 4 you'll now be at 8 degrees advanced. Not a good idea until you break out the degree wheel and see what you have.

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
"To be honest all I know is that it came out of my 350 that i just rebuilt....I dont have the numbers on the cam but the motor is bored .030 over and i was told it is just one step above a stock cam. other then that im not sure but its all in good shape..."

That was all I got from the owner. :mad:
OK!! Im lost... How did you go from not knowing if your engine had a camshaft to talking about cam numbers much less the clearance on the cylinder prep. Like you talking about .030" overbore. And then you say you rebuilt the engine. What??? You were just asking if your engine HAD a cam in it and if it was needed. Im really lost now. Where are you leading this???

You rebuilt the engine but said this "but i honestly no absolutely nothing about them. i don't even know what cam is in my car now, or if there is one? can a car not have a cam?"

WHAT!!!! Whats going on here, doesn't make any sense to me... JR

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for flippin' out, but your right I had asked all of that, then was told to get more information from the guy selling the cam and chain. What I got from him was about the rebuild, the boring, and not knowing anything about the specs of the cam. Sorry you got lost somehow.

·
Premium Member
2,333 Posts
Don't worry micah, you made complete sense to me.

I wouldn't buy the cam, it seems no one knows the info on it. "One step up from stock" really means nothing.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Don't worry micah, you made complete sense to me.

I wouldn't buy the cam, it seems no one knows the info on it. "One step up from stock" really means nothing.
That's EXACTLY what I thought. I just thought I'd run it by the sight since it was all a great deal.

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
Sorry you got lost somehow.
LOL NO, I get lost going through the grocery store. Ive come to expect Ill find myself lost at many points in life :) All the more fun getting back to ground zero. Thanks for clarifying JR

1 - 15 of 15 Posts