Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anybody running P235/60R15 tires on the rear of a first gen mounted on 15×7 rally wheels? I don't want to have to do any mods to the sheet metal. If so what size back space. Thanks all.

·
Registered
1963 Nova SS and 1965 Nova
428 Posts
I ran a 225 60 15 with 15x7 camaro wheels. I believe they has about 4.25" back space. If you get a 15x7 with 4.5" back space you should be ok. Keep in mind the narrowest part of the inner wheel well of the quarter panel is almost directly above the axle center line. You can massage this but only barely. Rolling lips won't help. Beyond that you will probably run into the leaf spring with the bulge of the tire with any more than 4.5" to 4.75" back spacing depending on the tire.

·
Premium Member
Serious southern boy living in Jax Fl.
4,465 Posts
The leaf springs are 6" from the brake drum face. I like 5.25bs if you can find the wheels.

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
I had some 15x8 rally’s made with 5.25” of backspace and ran a 225/50/15 on the rear of my 64. Stock axle width, stock wheel tubs, stock leaf spring locations, and lowered about 2 inches. If you go to a 7 inch wide wheel 4.75 inches is probably a good starting point. The variable in the equation will be your tire. Some tires have more sidewall bulge then others. A 235/60/15 might be able to sneak up in the well but it will be a close fit..

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
I posted this up a couple of years back when I had the 15x8 inch wheels made.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Is anybody running P235/60R15 tires on the rear of a first gen mounted on 15×7 rally wheels? I don't want to have to do any mods to the sheet metal. If so what size back space. Thanks all.
I run that size on mine with 4.25 back space. Rear passenger rubs some on hard bumps. 4.50 would be good if u can find them. The tires are BFGoodrich TA

·
Registered
100 Posts
I just mounted 235/60/15s on my 64. The backspacing is 4 3/4 and it gives me roughly 5/8 clearance between the leaf spring and 3/4 between the quarter lip.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I am looking for some plane jane 15x7 steel wheels with 4.75 back spacing for the rear and 15x6 for the front that will take a stock 1963 nova dog dish hubcap. Is there anything out there?

·
Registered
100 Posts
I looked everywhere as well… ss396, classic industries etc. had them advertised in their catalogs and websites until recently. I called them and a number of others and they all had the same story , they are on national backorder. I bought plain steel wheels from summit with 4 1/4 backspace and just cut the welds off and spaced them out to 4 3/4. I bolted them on the front hub and indicated them in to about .025 and welded them myself. You could maybe do that or call a custom wheel shop which I did but if remember correctly it was around 450 for two wheels delivered

1 - 11 of 11 Posts