Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New here got on site after starting my second nova project a basket 63 SS hardly any rust body great stock six with turbo 350 attached ( wrong torque converter for this application) but after 5 months of fixing what was not there or wrong it runs been driving it daily for two weeks now need advice on torque converter it engages at a very low rpm like 800 my engine wants to stall out when put into gear I had to set idle up to like 1050 to keep from stalling out then it is engaged hard to drive this way spool
If I change to a 1200 rpm stall converter will this fix it ?? How will drivability be affected?? like I said I am new to this issue and automatics I need to have a easy driver so my wife will stay interested in this project if she can drive it also it would be a great family project so please help any advise welcome
Mahalo Ozo

·
Registered
26,335 Posts
HELLO AND :welcome::waving: TO THE SITE, WHAT SIZE CONVERTER DO YOU HAVE NOW. 1200 I WOULD THINK WOULD WORK OUT FOR YOU, YOU MAY HAVE TOO MUCH STALL ALREADY OR NOT ENOUGH.:( GET IN TOUCH WITH TWISTED6 (LARRY) ON THIS SITE. HE'S A GOOD GUY AND KNOWS BETTER ABOUT 6's THAN I DO. :yes: I HOPE HE CAN GET YOU WHERE YOU WANNA BE
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks

Hey thanks for reply I think it's an 800 stall I had a local guy here in Vegas come look at it he works in a tranny shop he thinks that it's internal that two of the internal coughed are locked up possibly I am going to yank tranny and have it looked at then go from there I will replace the torque converter then and I am going to call an online six shop to see what they would recommend if using there intake and carb set up also I will try to get hold Of twisted 6 Larry also more input is always better
Thanks for suggestions :)

·
Premium Member
828 Posts
e komo mai. This was happening to me with the 700r4, I had it set curb idle at 1100 rpms and it would drop to 900rpms in gear and stall. Turned out that it was low in fluid. Topped it off and now the curb idle is set at 950rpms and drops to 750rpms in gear with a smooth idle. I do not think that curb idle at 1000rpms is unreaonble for an automatic. Aloha

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for input

I did add fluid this helped but it dies when set to where the tires don't chirp
When putting into gear trans seems engaged like there is no stall at all just go

1 - 7 of 7 Posts