Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was at the drivethru yesterday and my temp gage was climbing to 220. It got up to 230-5 while I was itching to get outta there. Finally they gave me my food and I pulled out. I wasn't sure if I could start her up again for a while if I shut her off so I decided to get back home, about 1/4 mile. I took it real easy just to get some air through the radiator and cooled her down to about 200 when I got home.

So my question is. Was it better to use the radiator to cool the motor to a reasonable temperature, OR should I have just shut it off and let it cool by itself?

·
Registered
5,781 Posts
I may be wrong, but the way I see it, a running car is moving the coolant. A shut down car is not. A driving car is getting airflow. A parked, not-running car gets nothing.

But please let the experts chime in here:D

·
Premium Member
4,612 Posts
I may be wrong, but the way I see it, a running car is moving the coolant. A shut down car is not. A driving car is getting airflow. A parked, not-running car gets nothing.

But please let the experts chime in here:D
ditto!!!!
with a mechanical temp guage you'll see the temp spike when the car isn't running.always drive the car(moving air through the rad and past the motor)at a reasonable speed and turn off your a/c and unneeded options.keeping coolant moving is the best thing to displace the heat.obviously this only works if the system is sealed and the thermostat isn't jammed.
leftcoast carl.

·
Registered
5,781 Posts
ditto!!!!
Joy! Logic prevails.

bobbotronchfh, what is your cooling system like? I ask because I used to have the same problem with overheating, but I had a brand new aluminum radiator, new hoses, 180* stat... The one thing I didn't replace was the water pump. Since I replaced that 40-year-old thing, I have not had trouble at a drive-thru since.:) Now may be the time to check your system for flaws. Maybe even upgrade to an aluminum rad. if you don't have one already...

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Joy! Logic prevails.

bobbotronchfh, what is your cooling system like?
I have a standard radiator (steel?), new hoses, don't have a stat though. I replaced my water pump, and haven't had any trouble since,except this. It's all fine unless I sit in the heat. It was kinda hot and I just got off the freeway. Cooled back down nice and quick in about 20 seconds of driving.

Mainly just wanted to check that I did what I was supposed to do. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
That sounds more like your fluid level was low, that or a sticking thermostat but you dont have one. Once the rpms go up it usually cools down really quick if thats the case. It happended all of the time before i had a overflow tank on my radiator. It would heat up to 220 at a stop light then shoot back down to 185-190 once I started moving again.If your actually getting to warm, it would probably take longer then 20 seconds for it to cool off. I may be wrong though, do you have a overflow can that allows fluid back into the rad once it cools down? Also, do you have a fan shroud, they make a huge difference.

Good Luck

-dan

·
Registered
9,964 Posts
So I was at the drivethru yesterday and my temp gage was climbing to 220. It got up to 230-5 while I was itching to get outta there. Finally they gave me my food and I pulled out.
How about parking and walking inside for your food?

·
Premium Member
2,139 Posts
Keep it running, ac off and heat on full blast. The heater core acts as a small rad and the fan on full helps cool the engine and make you sweat.
X2 !!!!!! Its better to be a little uncomfortable than to buy a new block! Same when going up a long hill in the summer heat.:yes:

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
FWIW-
I'd put a thermostat back in it. That way the radiator can more effectively radiate the heat from the water sitting in the radiator. The constant flow might now allow the water enough time in the radiator to cool the water adequately. Especially idling in a drive thru. JMO

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
Is your fan close enough to the radiator? And you should always run with a thermostat because the coolant does not have enough time to pull the heat off the motor and heads since it is not being restricted at all.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts