Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Test drove the Nova today after putting a new altenator in. Figure I'll drive it down to the gas station to gas up and come back. On the way out there the temp looked good everything was fine when I got to the sation I looked again and my temp guage was about 250-260 :confused: so I shut it off and and saw that my belt fell off (didn't tighten the bolt good enough) So I put the belt back on and started it up and it dropped to 210 instantly Just wondering if there is anything I should worry about. What is the max temp a 383 can take with aluminum heads?

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Not much more than that I would say... I run 190 OCCASIONALY hit 200 in mine and even then I get angry at myself and shave my head as punishment.

:D

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I checked the oil to see if there was any indication of water there was none.
Checked the radiator level and the water looks dirty for some reason kind of a brownish color.
this is a fresh motor with only about 300 miles on it.
Hope I didn't warp the heads or do any other damage.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Was your coolent puking to the overflowing jug or to the ground? If it was refill then check it again,ya should be fine.BTW my 2004 silverado run 220 all the time since it was new with no problems.
Don't make this a habit though!!! :DJust Kidding!!

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No puking. Just concerned with the high temp reading when I noticed it at about 250-260 degrees not knowing the belt fell off.
Thanks

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks.Yeah just a little to worried, I just changed out the coolant and it looked fine. The motor seems to run fine. Maybe I'm just to concerned since it is a fresh motor.
Thanks for quick replies everyone.:D

·
Registered
661 Posts
it might be just me, but I would change the Oil asap ! the Oil is just not the same after being that HoT !

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks I'll do that tommorrow, it is about time since the break in stuff is still in there.

·
Premium Member
1,916 Posts
My new stroker reached 350 once in traffic with bout 500 miles on it . As it reached 350 I was out of traffic and drove it to operating temp. 180. Didn't hurt a thing. No boil over.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Just a side story here, but one time I was coming home from work at like 12:30 at night, and I noticed the temp gauge was up at 260. Needless to say, I pulled over. When I popped the hood, it was an engine fire that came from oil leaking onto the header. The temp sending unit was in the fire. Although I have a fire extinguisher, I used my shirt to put it out. The car started up and ran fine after that.

When my Dad rebuilt the 455 in his 74 Trans Am, he forgot to refill the radiator after the startup. So it was running at like 300 degrees before anyone looked at the temp gauge. Well we got some water in there quick, and sprayed the water into the radiator. Made a big mess, but the car still runs good. That was on the initial startup too.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts