Chevy Nova Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
It looks like the fan is too far inside the shroud. The fan should be half way in the shroud.

·
Premium Member
8,478 Posts
Looking closer I am seeing that it is not a shroud at all, but more of a guard since it is open on the bottom, and the fan also looks like a flex fan. A shroud that fully circles the fan will work much better, and a solid fan instead of the flex fam will be much better too. A factory style thermostatic fan would be the very best, IMO.

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
Guys, he stated the car overheats in like 5 minutes of driving--I can drive several miles before needing the fan turned on with my 14.5-1 engines, so how is the fan/shroud/depth of fan in the shroud going to be an issue so quickly??
Matt, Have you looked inside the radiator with the engine running to see if you have water moving? If you have already blown a head gasket, things won't be improving anytime soon.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
I'm with Bowtie on this one. I'm wondering if the water pump you have is for a serpentine system and thus is turning backwards with a v-belt and not moving much water. A call to Stewart for a replacement pump would be the ultimate answer or you could look at some of the Weiand and Edelbrock aluminum water pumps.

I don't trust 99% of the counter folk at the parts stores.:no: I've gotten more wrong parts that correct over the years. Now I do the research and walk in the store with my own part numbers.:yes:

You wanna see something funny, ask them for a non-projected nose replacement plug for your car that's two steps colder and see what they do.:devil:

Hint: Get ready to sit around a while.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I dont know if what I am going to tell you will help at all but it might throw some ideas into your head.

We also have a 63 SS. Ours has a 355 with 11:1 compression. Here is our cooling combo. This combo never ever gets above 190 not even on a 100 degree day. 99% of the time is sits dead on 180 constantly. I think your problem is your water pumps. Get a Stewart and be done with it. Thats just my oppinion from our experience.

180 stant thermostat
Stewart stage 1 water pump. (this solved our over heating issue)
Summit aluminum radiator
14" flex fan and no shroud what so ever. I used the spacer that put it very close to the radiator.
cheapo chrome water pump pulley
new hoses top and bottom
trans cooler at the bottom inside of the radiator
Cheapo over flow tank from advance auto
Stant radiator cap

·
Registered
123 Posts
What about getting a peice of clear hose from home depot or lowes the same size as the upper rad hose removing the thermostat and see if the water is flowing. Just a thought.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
thanks guys.. im going to go ahead and get a stewart pump and go from there.. got a few other things to check out this weekend too..
i mean two engines overheating in the same car and the only thing constant that i know is the water pump.

tubbed, can i see the front of your motor? id like to see your pullys

·
Premium Member
1,924 Posts
B/4 you do that check to make sure you fan is not on backwards. It almost looks to me like you may be trying to push air forward through the rad instead of pulling it through. It is hard to tell from the picture but I was just comparing your photo to the other one posted here where he doesn't have a problem. You might just need to remove it, flip it over and re-install.

I did this once when I wired my electric backwards. it was kinda OK sitting still but as soon as i drove it, it would overheat.

If this is not it, make sure you have bled your cooling system. I am running Vortec heads and the factory intakes for these had a rear crossover tube which the Edelbrock does not. It helpd to drill a small hole in the thermostat. It helps get all of the air out of the system.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
correct me if I am wrong but are you running the short water pump? Now aren't the short water pumps have a smaller impeller than the long water pumps? If that were the case the problem is not enough coolant flow. Either spin the water pump faster or change over to a corvette aluminum short water pump with the bigger bearing and impeller
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1969-1970-Chevy-Corvette-Aluminum-Short-Water-Pump-SBC_W0QQitemZ330319617290QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20090404?IMSfp=TL0904041510007r25877

or go with the long water pump.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts