Chevy Nova Forum banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,559 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
More info on the cooling system would be needed. The pulley ratio is only one part to the cooling system. Your current pully ratio may be alright. What size rad, fan, pump, shourd etc... do you have. The condition and tuning (timing and fuel) of the engine are also something to consider. Got a pic?
383 SBC Eagle Crank, Eagle H beam rods, Speedpro flat top pistons, Dart Pro Alum 180 heads with 2.02 1.60 .100 long valves .100 long pushrods and 1.5 roller rockers. Comp cams 280H, TPI with 30lbs injectors fuel pressure at 45lbs, 58mm throttle body, timing at 6 degrees. 3 core radiator with Flex a lite dual fans with a shourd, Stewart alum water pump, Stewart 180 degree thermostat.

Pictures to follow..

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
This is a MAF system. No MAP sendor. I'm am wanting to get a chip burned but dont know of anyone that does it.

Mitch
If you have a way to do a data capture, Random Technologies In Stone Mountain, GA burned my chip. FYI: I have to set my initial timing at 0 degrees. Anymore and the knock sensor starts taking timing out under hard acceleration. Of course, I have the '92 speed density system and a custom chip. There isn't an audible spark rattle with 6 degrees, but we can see it on the Diacom Software.

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Shoot, my engine has NO pulleys on it at all and it hasn't overheated in 2 and a half years....of course, I haven't started it for 2 and a half years! :D

After all this, when it goes back together I'm powder coating the stockers and calling it a day.

Thanks, Funky for bringing this up - you probably saved a bunch of guys a lotta time and money.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
I've been looking for awhile

I've got a set of those "Spectre" pulleys that are both about 6.75 inches in diameter. This may be the problem Ive been chasing trying to keep the engine cool. I'm finding that it seems the big block or long water pump applications get the larger crank and smaller pump pulley. Where are you guys finding the 6/8 combos for a short water pump small block?

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Good advice Funky... I was just looking at a set of those pulleys the other day...

Scott

·
Registered
73 Posts
awesome tread. Something I would not thought of. I had a similar issue with my 63 with 355ci. My engine would get hot and I spent days thinking what would cause this. I had put on those metal flexable radiator hoses summit sells a while go and realized that the inner diameter of the hose was way too small for the lower hose. I put on the stock rubber hoses and the engine cools fine now.

·
Registered
726 Posts
So what are the sizes for a bbc as far as the pulleys go? I have an edelbrock water pump pulley and a smaller moroso crank pulley. My cooling system is a short style aluminum water pump, big aluminum radiator, 14" electric fan, and a 180 thermastat. I stay around 190-200 driving and about 220 while sitting...

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
Just got my March Serpentine system yesterday. The crank pully is stepped to drive the power steering at 1:1, but he water pump and AC side is huge. It should make the WP and peanut AC compressor scream.

·
Registered
726 Posts
My bbc 496 has a 5.25 moroso crank pulley and an edelbrock 6" water pump pulley. What are the factory sizes and does mine look like it will be a over heating issue? Other info is in thread about 3 post up.
thanks!!

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
To me, the last thing you want to do is sacrifice cooling ability with those pretty under drive pulleys. They do exactly what they say they do, under drive everything. Ever see some of the stock crank pulleys? Some of them are pretty damn big and for a reason. Live and learn though, I installed some on an old motor and always had to keep an eye on the temp. It sucked, sold the car though before I messed with it again at all. Should have put the stock crank pulley back on and found another solution for tossing the alt. belt all the time.

·
Registered
726 Posts
So what is the final word on the sizes of the factory style pulleys for the water pump and crank for bbc? I want to get mine right for better cooling but I will be buying nicer looking ones than factory so I need to know the correct diameter?
Thanks!!!

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Nabit, I don't think people are ignoring you I just don't think there's one answer to your question. If a BB is anything like a SB the pulleys came in a myriad of sizes depending on application, year and so forth. I would just make sure your pulleys at least drive the WP 1 to 1 or overdrive it a little.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Nabit, I don't think people are ignoring you I just don't think there's one answer to your question. If a BB is anything like a SB the pulleys came in a myriad of sizes depending on application, year and so forth. I would just make sure your pulleys at least drive the WP 1 to 1 or overdrive it a little.
Thanks ALLT4, I didn;t realize that they were so many different combo of pulley setups. I thought it was just SWP and LWP, for BBC.

So I found a 7.3" crank and my water pump is a 6" so that would be what better that the 1 to 1 ratio and should work better.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts