Chevy Nova Forum banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I just went out and measured mine and found out I'm at at 0%. (5" and 5"). I hope my oversized rad and hd electric fan and shroud will be enough to compensate for the slower coolant flow.
:eek::eek: You might be alright Shane but if you're not at least you won't waste your time trying to trouble shoot.;)

·
Premium Member
13,309 Posts

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
I'd love to know how many people went out and measured their pulleys today. rofl:D
I was just about to finish installing my new radiator when i read this thread. I am underdriven. Now i need to make a trip to pick-a-parts or find out if spectre makes a 8" crank pulley.

·
Premium Member
2,053 Posts
thanks man!! im checking tonight..i ordered mine some 9 years ago you may have helped me out..of course finding my original pulleys is another story..lol

thanks funky

·
Premium Member
3,684 Posts
It's funny sometimes how simple things can be. As a mechanic sometimes I start thinking too deep and have to get back to basics when diagnosing a problem.:rolleyes: Glad you found the problem Dave.;) A lot of the time when thinking about buying pullies we are thinking of looks and performance but not the size. I guess size really does matter!:D :rolleyes:
Al

·
Premium Member
3,361 Posts
This is a prime example of how we all need to educate ourselves on what product we are purchasing and installing on our cars. It is not the manufacturer's fault that the pulleys may cause overheating. It is obvious when you put the old and new pulleys beside each other that there will be a change- good or bad. It is up to YOU to figure out what effect it may have on your car. We are dealing with aftermarket parts that inherently have risks associated with them, even if they are "universal" or "bolt-on".

·
Premium Member
5,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
This is a prime example of how we all need to educate ourselves on what product we are purchasing and installing on our cars. It is not the manufacturer's fault that the pulleys may cause overheating. It is obvious when you put the old and new pulleys beside each other that there will be a change- good or bad. It is up to YOU to figure out what effect it may have on your car. We are dealing with aftermarket parts that inherently have risks associated with them, even if they are "universal" or "bolt-on".
Brian,
We do need to educate each other no doubt but I disagree strongly about the second statment. It is their fault for causing our cars to overheat and I feel it should be their responsibility to disclose what they are selling.

Let me give you some examples. How would you feel if you went to a parts store and needed a set of .30 pistons and they handed you an UNLABELED box full of .20 over pistons that were unmarked with size. Would you think this is exceptable? How about buying a set of 1.5 rockers from a company who boxes 1.7 rockers in an unmarked box. Who cares right? You should have done the measuring and your due diligence. I don't care how you slice it when you spend big bucks on parts the least those *******s can do is disclose what the hell it is your buying. At minimal the people who sell you these parts should be knowledgeable to ask you questions about your application and sell you the correct parts. I would have never bought the pulleys had it simply said "Underdrive crank pulley system for SBC -long water pump". It said "Crank pully- long water pump". I know... I know!!I am asking for a lot.....1 additional word "Underdrive" on the package. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

With this said. I shoud have measured.:D I've lived and I've learned. Hopefully....like you said, other people can learn from my mistakes.

Dave

·
Premium Member
3,361 Posts
I understand that aftermarket companies should not sell parts that are not correct for intended use, but you should always double check them yourself. I do know that you cant check EVERYTHING- not all of us have the QC tools available to us. Something simple like pulleys is an easy check.

I do like your statement:
"At minimal the people who sell you these parts should be knowledgeable to ask you questions about your application and sell you the correct parts."

There are not enough people that know what works well with different cars/ drivetrains, etc. Some of us end up as guneau pigs!

BTW, I actually run the underdrive billet pulley setup on my 383 with no cooling or charging problems.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Great thread. One of those things I would not of thought about. I'll have to try to remember that one. Glad you got everything working right again.
Nice job solving that fiasco.:)

·
Registered
312 Posts
Hey Shane

I have a 6.75 crank and a 6 water pump.. I'm having the same issue with it overheating on the hwy.. If I went to a larger crank and a smaller water pump that would overdrive the pump???

Mitch

8 / 6 = 1.33 This is the 33%

6 / 6.5 = .92 This is 8% less

1.33 / .92 = 1.44 So the difference is 44%

You could have different diameters for your pulleys and can see what the ratio or percentage of overdriven(hopefully) speed is.

I just went out and measured mine and found out I'm at at 0%. (5" and 5"). I hope my oversized rad and hd electric fan and shroud will be enough to compensate for the slower coolant flow.

·
Premium Member
5,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
2 out of 3! I run a 3 core steel radiator with 6 cyl tanks!

Darn...I was close. LOL.:D Exchange your waterpump to a stock pump and see what happens. Lucklily you had enough sense to know what you were buying.

Looks like Mitch ^^ should have measured his pulleys like me. :rolleyes: Why should high performance aftermarket companies disclose more less educate people on their systems? I'm sorry...but I still can't buy the "buyer beware" attitude. Makes absolutely no sense to me.

I lived and learned and life goes on....:D

I only thought mustangs had underdrive systems.....shows you how old school I am. This is what I get for taking a 15 year break on hotrods. Now you got to measure every damn thing. :mad: LOL.:D

Dave

·
Premium Member
2,948 Posts
ALL I DID WAS CHANGE THE PULLEYS BACK TO STOCK PULLEYS AND ADD A 160 thermastat. The car stays at a 170 deg at all times now. No matter how much traffic I sit in and no matter what driving condition I put the car through. Not to mention the tranny gauge stays cooler too b/c it runs through the radiator
Glad you found the problem! This is exactly the reason why I never went with under drive pulleys. All my friends were telling me "Go with under drive pulleys, you will get more HP".. Always knew that was a bad idea for cooling..

Good going!!

·
6,399 Posts
Hey Shane

I have a 6.75 crank and a 6 water pump.. I'm having the same issue with it overheating on the hwy.. If I went to a larger crank and a smaller water pump that would overdrive the pump???

Mitch
More info on the cooling system would be needed. The pulley ratio is only one part to the cooling system. Your current pully ratio may be alright. What size rad, fan, pump, shourd etc... do you have. The condition and tuning (timing and fuel) of the engine are also something to consider. Got a pic?

21 - 40 of 59 Posts