Chevy Nova Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
950 Posts
It sounds like your fan has a built in shroud. If so, try taking the fan off the car and run it on the road and see if the temps drop while at speed. If so, you might try one the the fans without a shroud, it would let more air flow through the radiator. The speedway fan I have has a built in shroud with flaps in it. Place the fan on the lower part of the radiator if you have room to move it down.

·
Registered
9,964 Posts
Maybe the air is going through the radiator so fast it doesn't pick up any heat...

·
Registered
723 Posts
radiators

I run a stout 350 four speed and 4.10 gears in my 62 Chevy II. I live in Florida where it gets hotter than balls in the summer. I took my stock radiator, had it re-cored, put two $30.00 10" electric pusher fans and mounted them diagonally in front of the radiator. I also retained the flex fan. I can sit all day long at no more than 190, on the highway running 70mph she will run 170-180. I use 165 degree thermostats.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Thanks for the input guys, to answer a few questions. I have single pass radiator, 90% H20, and 1 bottle of water wetter.

First I will recheck the radiator cap and check the total advance to see if it's running too lean at cruise. If these things check out I'll go and purchase FlexALites 16 incher rated a 2500 cfm mounted to my custom shroud (current fan is only rated at 1400 cfm). Straight fan blades or curved? Are straight fan blades really that loud?

Thanks again for all the insight.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Water tems

For what it's worth, the guy that builds my engines also builds them for dirt track guys. He told me to only run distilled water with water pump lube and no anti freeze. And no, I the water isn't rusty. It works in all three of my cars here in Florida during the hot months, but I also run two of those cheap little 10" pusher fans and keep the mechanical fan with no shroud to blow air accross the engine at idle and use 165 degree thermostats. I've never had any luck with that water wetter stuff or anything like it, it only wetted my wallet. And like I said in my previous post, I still use the tiny original 1962 radiator, I just had it re-cored to four rows. In the middle of summer running down the highway (with the electric fans off) at 65 mph at 3000 rpm she might make it to 180 degrees but usually 170 or so. Some people say that's too cool to run, I don't know about that part. If someone wants pics of my el-cheapo but practical radiator and fan set up without the grill in the way, I would be more than happy to send some, just pm me.
:beer: :cool: :beer:

21 - 28 of 28 Posts