Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 63 with a 383 in it, but the standard radiator size. She does fine on the high way, but sitting in traffic she immediately wants to over heat. Temps have been creeping up to 230, at that point I pull over and let her cool down..however she takes FOREVER to cool down.

Suggestions?

Looking into a larger more efficient radiator - companies in mind?

The radiator now has an 11 inch electric fan with no shroud. I thought about just adding the shroud but the way it creeps up in heat I doubt it would do much to contain the issue.

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
4,125 Posts
An unshrouded fan is an inefficient fan. You're not pulling air through the entire radiator, only the part directly in front of the fan. If you did the math, you would probably find that you're only pulling air through approx. half the radiator (or less) and in traffic that can have a HUGE impact on cooling.

edit: Your 11 inch fan has a surface area of about 95 sq. inches. If your radiator has a 16" x 16" core (don't know what it really is, just picking some numbers), that's a total surface area of 256 sq. inches. In this case you're covering considerably less than 1/2 the area.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Overheating

A FAN SHROUD DECREASED MY TEMP BY 12 DEGREES. ALSO ARE YOU USING A THERMOSTAT? IF SO WHAT IS THE STAMPED TEMP RANGE ON THE THERMO?HAVE YOU CHANGED THE COOLANT LATELY? aLL OF THESE THINGS SINGLE OR COMBINED CAN MAKE YA HEAT UP. HOPE THIS HELPS.

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
Try an engine driven fan and shroud. Or larger and more cfm electric. It sounds like it's just an airflow problem.

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
Sorry guys a fan schroud added to my temp on the freeway. Took it off, everything ok now. A schoud is not always the answer. Got to make sure the air gets through the radiator and not blocked by the schroud. Idealy a schrod is great, not allways on our novas. A 11 inch electric does seem small. At least a 16 incher

·
Premium Member
2,948 Posts
I've got a 63 with a 383 in it, but the standard radiator size. She does fine on the high way, but sitting in traffic she immediately wants to over heat. Temps have been creeping up to 230, at that point I pull over and let her cool down..however she takes FOREVER to cool down.

Suggestions?

Looking into a larger more efficient radiator - companies in mind?

The radiator now has an 11 inch electric fan with no shroud. I thought about just adding the shroud but the way it creeps up in heat I doubt it would do much to contain the issue.

Thoughts?
Get yourself a shroud, 16 inch clutch fan, 180 deg therm and an aluminum radiator. Then you will be done with it. That's my setup and it NEVER goes above 180 in ANY HIGH HEAT DAY. :yes:

·
6,399 Posts
Sorry guys a fan schroud added to my temp on the freeway. Took it off, everything ok now. A schoud is not always the answer. Got to make sure the air gets through the radiator and not blocked by the schroud. Idealy a schrod is great, not allways on our novas. A 11 inch electric does seem small. At least a 16 incher
What was the shroud and fan from? The only one I can think of that would do that is an aftermarket one that isn't very deep and impedes air flow.

·
Registered
476 Posts
ChrisBorsheim... heres how my 66 is set up and it works fine. Griffin alum radiator (2 row of 1"), six blade stainless steel fan, spacer so fan sits about 2" from radiator, fan is half in/half out of shroud, shroud is from a Mustang II. shroud does not fit the entire width, height of the radiator... I believe this helps it cool good on highway, I've seen a number of cake-pan style shrouds that seem to cause highway cooling isssues. EMP/Stewart water pump and Robertshaw hi flow 180 stat. Tried the Stewart modified 180 stat but car ran too cool. Also, stock pulleys! Have seen undersize waterpump pulley lead to cooling issues. Remember 50/50 coolant mix if you need it but less antifreeze and more water will run cooler.

Your results may vary:yes:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts