Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I have a 1973 nova that about 4 weeks ago i bought and put in a gm performance parts 350. Its the 260 hp engine. When i put the motor in i used all new parts on it. the trans was rebuilt and has a shift kit with a 2000 stall.

It has a 4barrel edlebrock carb, Dual plain high rise, and headers. everything else is stock replacement parts. I have gone through 3 radiators, 4 thermostats and a couple of radiator hoses trying to figure out what is wrong with it.

No matter what i do this thing runs way hotter then it should(keep in mind i have the stock fan and a electric fan running at all times). I have a 180* thermostat and at night with outside temps of around 60-65 this thing will run anywhere from 195 to 210. If it is hot outside like normal daytime temps of around 80 -90 it will run at 215 cruising down the highway and even hotter sitting in traffic. I have never let it get above 220 i always shut it off and let it cool before continuing. I added a 1500cfm electric fan on top of keeping the stock 4 blade fan and shroud. and it continues to run hot.

So what im trying to figure out is this extra heat just because it is a totally new motor or is it something else. we have tried just about everything we can think of and can't seem to figure out what is causing it to run so hot

Sorry for this being so long just wanted to make sure that i covered everything.

Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks in advance
Cody

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
for the temp gauge i have tried to different brands of temp gauges and they both read the same.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
trying running straight distilled water and see how it runs... engines run best with distilled water only but cant be used in winter because it will freeze...
also what size diameter is your water pump pulley?

·
Registered
532 Posts
Sounds like you have changed just about everything but the water pump out. So that would be the next thing I would change. Sometimes the propeller on the water pump will slip and not flow like it should. I would change it out with another pump and see if that does the trick.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok first off it was originally a 307 car. It has a two row radiator and i used the same water pump pulley from the 307, I can't recall right off hand the exact size of it.

right now it is just out of the hose water mixed with about 2 and a half gallons of straight green coolant. could that be part of my issue?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
oh and right now the timing is set at 10*

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Ok first off it was originally a 307 car. It has a two row radiator and i used the same water pump pulley from the 307, I can't recall right off hand the exact size of it.

right now it is just out of the hose water mixed with about 2 and a half gallons of straight green coolant. could that be part of my issue?
first, never use hose water...always distilled water only...also use the smaller 6 1/4" pulley. and third i would replace the 2 row rad. with a 3 row....the bigger and more power an engine makes, the more heat it generates...

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Get a stock 7 blace clutch fan and get rid of those other two. With the electric fan running, it ,may be restricting airflow by fighting the mechanical.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
alright I'll drain it out and use distilled water and see how it acts.

I'd really rather not have to spend big money for a 3 row unless i have to. I went to everywhere around me and tried to find one originally and the cheapest I could find one was $450.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Get a stock 7 blace clutch fan and get rid of those other two. With the electric fan running, it ,may be restricting airflow by fighting the mechanical.
The way that both of the fans are set up they are both pulling air.

·
Registered
978 Posts
alright I'll drain it out and use distilled water and see how it acts.

I'd really rather not have to spend big money for a 3 row unless i have to. I went to everywhere around me and tried to find one originally and the cheapest I could find one was $450.
If you did have to buy another radiator get an aluminum one from Summit Racing, the Summit brand one goes for under $200.00

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
The way that both of the fans are set up they are both pulling air.
If the mechanical fna is trying to pull more air than the electric fan can flow, the electric fan is now hindering airflow by holding the airflow back. You are running a fan shroud right? And yes, the Summit aluminum radiator is around $180.00

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Oh ok i see what your saying on the fans. Ill look into the summit radiators.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts