Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i dropped the new motor in, and fired it up, only to find it overheating. takes about 5-10 minutes to get up above 210. i have heard it could be due to everything being brand new, and just idling sucking in air wont keep it cool enough for break in. had a legit mechanic come over and claim that my fan isn't pulling enough air thru the radiator, and suggested an electric fan be installed. confirmed no blown head gasket, and timing is set around 8 advanced. anyone have any input? thanks.

motor specs:
brand new gm crate 350
edelbrock rpm perf heads
edelbrock intake (new 180* thermostat)
lunati 60103lk cam
edelbrock 600cfm carb
16" flex 5 blade fan (***no clutch or shroud***)
hooker headers

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
I'd start with a lot more advance. And maybe a big fan in front of the car while sitting there doing the break-in. And as for the carb......we won't go there again.

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
If you have a couple of inches between the radiator and fan without a shroud, no fan will pull enough air through the radiator. Do you have a shop fan to blow air through the radiator while you are idling in the garage?

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
Boetie,I guess you dont like the eledrebrock carbs. Im helping a friend with one for the first time....wish it was a holley.
Greg

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Like GM said, get rid of the flex fan and get a shroud on there. That should make 90% of your problems dissappear.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah a friend of my dad's is getting me an electric fan w/shroud. i think the guy said around 3,000 cfm. so i'm hoping that cures my issue. we toyed around with the distributor and got it running, then toyed with it more, got it idling nicely, and man does that thing have some torque. the carb is an old carb, on the motor when i got it, and i ran out of cash. saving up for a holley 750. car came with no shroud, just stock 4 blade fan, and the flex fan i mentioned wasn't pulling air thru. so yeah, i'm hoping it's just the fan issue. can't wait to drive it! my dad and his buddy started it up before i headed off to my girlfriends graduation, and the whole house started shaking, sweet jesus, sounds like a boeing in my front yard.

·
Premium Member
11,285 Posts
As was said, get rid of the flex. We put a 5 blade steel fan and a 3" shroud on mine and no problems. I think we got them from Speedway.

·
Premium Member
2,781 Posts
Flex fans, why no likey??

How come you guys don't like the flex fans?
Running an 18" flexalite with factory shroud on mine with no issues at all.
Only thing I don't like is it's noisey.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
I've never had a flex fan (aftermarket) that cooled anything that was bettert han stock. They just don't move enough air. I even went to aluminum radiators and high flow water pumps, but with the flex fan, nope, still overheated. Even without a fan shroud, the stock clutch fan cooled the engine better than the flex fan with a shroud. If you're not worried about absolute power, a steel, fixed blade 18"fan with a spacer will cool the engine great, even in traffic.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts