Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to dump my turbo 350 and get an overdrive transmission.What are the advantanges of a 700 r4 vs a 200 4r and vice verses?I was told a 200 4r will drop in easier?what else do I need?a torque convertor a tv cable?Do I need a carb adaptor kit?thanks for the info!!bm

·
Premium Member
13,309 Posts
hey bruce......

I like the 200 better than the 700... the od is .63 compare to the .75 of the 700.. also the 200 has gearing very close to the t350.... almost identical .....

the 200 will use the same cross member as the T350..

but cost more than the 700....

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
both. I too have thought about the convertion. Any info would be great.:)
I think the 200 is a bolt right in....the 700 you need to shorten your driveshaft and get a new crossmember.....the tunnel has to do with the car(ithink 1st gen's you gotta massage alittle..i think?)bm

·
Premium Member
2,139 Posts
hey bruce......

I like the 200 better than the 700... the od is .63 compare to the .75 of the 700.. also the 200 has gearing very close to the t350.... almost identical .....

the 200 will use the same cross member as the T350..

but cost more than the 700....
We used our t-350 crossmember and drilled 2 new holes for the 700r4!! Piece of cake.:yes:

·
Registered
60 Posts
There are pro's and con's for each. I'm putting in a 200 4r this weekend.

200-4r: Same driveshaft as T350
200-4r: Same crossmember as T400

700r4: Same crossmember as T350
700r4: Need to shorten driveshaft 3"

Parts you'll need:
TV cable bracket for carb.
Cable geometry corrector so TV cable is accurate at WOT.

As far as torque converters go, I'm going with a non-lockup converter because I happen to have one laying around. If you go with a lockup converter, there is a lot of information out there on getting it to lock up.

I'll post more information after my swap. It will probably be a couple of weeks because we're doing some welding on the firewall and other various things while the engine and tranny are out.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I opted for the 200r in my wagon - the 700r is longer and you need a shorter drive shaft and it's been stated here before that I believe a vega drive shaft will fit with no cutting - in 1st and 2nd generation cars you will have to get a different crossmember - whichever trans you choose - even with the 200r being the same length as the 350 the mount on the 200r is positioned at the very rear - not sure about 3rd generation cars as to how to modify the crossmember - I tried to modify my original crossmember then ordered a Bowtie Overdrive crossmember.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
what about this ????

ok which one can i build to take some drag punishment i would like to do the 200 due to the fact i dont want to cut my aluminum driveshaft down im using a th350 as of right now what kind of mods internaly would i need to do im looking at throwing 800 hp to it :yes:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Great info osborns!
i got a 200 in my 66 sedan. i made a cross member (bowtie overdrives makes one). The convert is a lock up from edge.
In my 67 wagon i have a 700, used the stock cross member just drilled more holes. the driveshaft is stock GM from second gen camaro (went to the junk yard with a tape measure, just remember new universal joints)

Oh yeah chevyIIheavy
My 66 sedan runs 11's. 1.60's 60 foot times the 200 has a 3200 stall lock up and 3:55 in the rear. Both trans can be built. Just think about the gear spacing, rear end gears, and the torque curve of the motor. check out some Grand National forums about what parts to put inside. Maybe a trans brake!
I built both transmissions send me a PM if anyone wants more info.

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
anyone else wanna chime in:DThe more info the better

·
Premium Member
1,698 Posts
I'm closely following this thread - thanks for posting this Bruce. I, too, am inquiring the same. 200r4's are really tough to find used (at least for me it is).

So... the 200r4 will accommodate the same trans cross member as the th350? Or does this only apply to 2nd gens as novabro stated?

Where can you find 200r4's in the Bay Area... any leads anyone???????

·
Premium Member
14,614 Posts
anyone else wanna chime in:DThe more info the better
I was gonna go down the 200r4 route when someone in our Nova club was considering offering me a core to do a home-rebuild on. That deal fell through, but I'd still like to go down the Overdrive path with a 200r4 at some point.

Pros:

1) Driveshaft length doesn't change
2) Gearing is good, without the big gap that the 700r4 users complain about.
3) No tunnel mods

Cons:

1) New crossmember needed
2) Confusion persistent about power levels support by which cores & configurations

A properly built one should be able to handle anything I can dish out on a streetable car, so that's why 200r4 is going to be my choice when/if I ever bit off that chunk o' work.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Bowtie worked great with me

as I mentioned to you already Bruce, Bowtie's products made my install with my 700R4 "crazy" painless. If you happen to go that route, ask if we can get a hook up on 2. :devil: 700 or 200, makes no difference to me, even though the 200 would be an easier install with my th-350 already, but shortening a driveshaft and balance was only 100 bucks with new yoke

·
Super Moderator
67 4 door, 65 wagon (in pieces)
6,667 Posts
Chevy2Only has all the parts for the conversion. I got all the parts for mine from them. However, the TV cable bracket won't work with my stock 6 and BV carb. But I got the trans crossmember, trans mount, throttle cable, column shift kit, converter lock-up wiring, and the TV cable bracket from them. I got the new column lense indicator for Xmas (it wasn't from C2O, but I can't remember where it came from.)

I'm not that handy and am very intimidated by trying to get this right. I dropped the 2004R off at the transmission shop today. They're getting Lucille on Friday to do the swap.

I found the 2004R in a junkyard last summer. A

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
This thread is right down my alley, so to speak.....

I would definitely go the way of the 200-4R and since I rebuilt mine and it's still running strong, I can tell you a couple of things that would help you out in the long run.

To find the best 200-4R, you need to look for the ones from the 86-88 Monte Carlo SS cars. They are more easier to obtain than the Buick Grand National trannies.

I purchased my crossmember from Chevy2only and picked it up at Carlisle Pa. some 4 yrs ago. I would highly recommend using the system from Bow Tie Overdrives for the TV cable set-up. It takes all the guess work out of mis-matching parts plus, it gives you some extra tuning abilities for your set-up.

Getting the torque convertor to lock-up was as simple as swapping out your brake light switch with a 86/88 Monte Carlo SS one. To have the lock-up function, you need 12v power source from the panel and have it thru the brake switch, ( with a fuseable link in that line ), and on to the lock up solenoid within the tranny.

http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/instructions/tci-376600.pdf

I am running 4.10 gears out back and when I fall into that overdrive gear, I am really cruzin.....

1 - 20 of 43 Posts