Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Out with the old:

...and in with the new:

I had a busy weekend, put in my new gas tank on Saturday and got started with the Tremec install today. Now I just need a motor in the car to twist that 5-speed!

·
Premium Member
11,467 Posts
Try referencing your pics from the "community" part of your webshots. (or check their instructions on posting to forums, a new feature of Webshots)

Dan (red x'ed):D

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry for the red X's, should be working now!

·
Premium Member
11,467 Posts
Very nice! Is that kit from Keisler Engr or Classic Chevy 5-Speed? I plan on one of those in my wagon.

Dan (drooling):p

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
you guys may wanna take a look-see at "Dark Horse Performance" out of Washington... a few guys have gone to them and found their price is considerably lower than everyone elses...

a friend of mine bought the tranny, speedo cable, mount and slip yoke... delivered for under $1750.00

just thought i'd let ya'll know ;)

good luck with yer install... keep us posted :D

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
DANNO said:
Very nice! Is that kit from Keisler Engr or Classic Chevy 5-Speed? I plan on one of those in my wagon.

Dan (drooling):p
I bought the Deluxe Kit from Classic Chevy 5 Speed. Make one phone call to them to ask a few questions and you will be convinced. Great guys to deal with, very helpful, and no hard-sell. Plus, the kit was on my doorstep in less than a week after ordering.

Now I just need to cover that big ugly hole in the floor. Trust me, there's no stranger feeling than taking a sawzall to the floor of your car. :eek:

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
an additional bit of info... the "deluxe Kit" isn't available for us 1st/2nd genner guys... bellhousing and crossmember issues ;)

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the Flyer said:
a friend of mine bought the tranny, speedo cable, mount and slip yoke... delivered for under $1750.00
That's a good deal, they must be willing to deal lower than the prices on their website. I checked them out before buying my kit and their price was $1,932 for the kit as you described. I paid about $770 more than that but also got their custom crossmember (VERY nice, BTW), a new driveshaft, shift knob, and all hardware. I probably could have saved a few bucks by moving my stock crossmember back and having my driveshaft shortened locally, but after seeing how nice the crossmember is and how easy the kit makes the installation I'm glad I spent the extra money.

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
i'm glad yer happy (most important thing, right ???) i was posting just to inform others of the possibilities... there IS a big difference when talking 1st/2nd genner and a 3rd or 4th genner vehicle ;)

i have ta do crossmember as it's not available... i know i can get a shift knob and driveshaft for a better price...

again, just trying to help the 1st / 2nd genner guys ;)

Jeff & Scott at CC5S have a patch panel ta repair the hole in yer floor too... just in case yer needing one ;)

i bought a chunk of 18 ga ta fix mine

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the Flyer said:
i was posting just to inform others of the possibilities... there IS a big difference when talking 1st/2nd genner and a 3rd or 4th genner vehicle ;)

i have ta do crossmember as it's not available... i know i can get a shift knob and driveshaft for a better price...

again, just trying to help the 1st / 2nd genner guys ;)
That's a good point Flyer, if you are putting one in a 1st or 2nd gen. you're really just shopping for the trans itself and slip yoke so you might as well seek out the best price. What is the bellhousing issue with these cars you mentioned?

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
we have ta use the "special" Chevy II 10.5" bellhousing with the fork exit at 7 o'clock instead of what we'd all consider a regular GM bellhousing (which the fork exit is at 9 o'clock) you in a 3rd genner can use an 11" clutch too... we're limited to the 10.5 ;)

so yeah, that's the biggest issues that i'm aware of... a good note though... from what i've heard from Jeff at CC5S, they ARE working on the crossmember issue and McLeod IS working on a scattershield... but the demand is the kicker... so we're still kinda hangin' out in the wind so ta speak...

Bitchen Tranny though Huh ???

i have mine on the floor of my shop ;)

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's what I thought; I only recenly learned that those early cars had the clutch fork coming out of the bellhousing at a different location. When I called McLeod to ask why their scattershields were listed as "except Nova" on their website they explained that this meant only the early Novas with this different clutch fork position. I guess the only down-side to this is that you can only use a 10.5" clutch, right? That's cool to hear they're working on a bellhousing to change that, and that CC5S is working on the crossmember. I would assume the tooling cost for the bellhousing is steep, but I wouldn't think it would cost CC5S much to develop the crossmember. Mine is very nicely made, but it's simple so I would think the development cost would be reasonable. Since your in CA (you do live in CA, right?) you should volunteer your car to be their test mule for the new crossmember and bellhousing!

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
Mcleod knows all about the bellhousing, from what i hear, they're one of the best, it not "the" best... the crossmember i believe is already in the works according to Jeff (CC5S)

"test mule" ??? naw... i think not. i have way too much invested and i'm not even running yet... i'm not gonna let some guys "Mule" my car... :rolleyes: :D :D :D what assurances would i have no damage would occur ???

a nice thought, but i'd pass :D

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
the Flyer said:
"test mule" ??? naw... i think not. i have way too much invested and i'm not even running yet... i'm not gonna let some guys "Mule" my car... :rolleyes: :D :D :D what assurances would i have no damage would occur ???

a nice thought, but i'd pass :D
I guess I wouldn't want to use my car for an R&D guinea pig either, but if they said "here's a new bellhousing and crossmember for free, try them out and see how they fit" I certainly wouldn't pass that up, especially since it would just be bolt-on stuff that wouldn't be permanent to the car. I guess I just love getting something for free! :)

Jay (knows that there's no free lunch!)

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
i get advice for free, but the good advice sometimes costs... so i pay :rolleyes:

i get headaches for free too... and sometimes, i pay for those also...:rolleyes: :D :D :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts