Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We decided it's time to upgrade the engine package after three good years with it, so it's headed to a new home. We've secured a 846ci Reher-Morrison nitrous engine to replace it. This one has run in the 3.80's in a similar car so should keep us competitive, at least for a while.

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
Best of luck, keep us posted. What was the best ET you got out of the old motor? How many guns this one have?

·
Premium Member
9,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Best of luck, keep us posted. What was the best ET you got out of the old motor? How many guns this one have?
Hi Joe and Happy New Year. We ran 4.09 with it without really leaning on it. It went 3.95 in Carpenter's car at 2,475# with a clutch. We ran several 6.31 @ 224-225. I think being realistic with a little bigger tuneup mid 6.20's was probably the limit. There's not many if any 762's that have gone into the 3's, so it was a very nice piece. It had 4 nitrous kits on it and we (as well as Charles Carpenter) only ever used 3 of them.

The new engine has 4 kits also. (2 Vipers, 1 hard line fogger, 1 soft-line fogger). All of the engines like this are pretty similar, just subtle differences between cylinder heads, cam, intake etc. This one has 4 Braswell 2 barrels where the 762 had split Dominators. When you look at it and realize it's like a pair of 427 BB Chevys sitting there only in one piece, it's a chunk and only weighs about 630 lbs.

I don't have to hold on...my wife drives the car. It's way faster than I want to go. I've driven 10 sec class cars but this stuff is insane.

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
Agreed running 3s with a 762 type combo is no easy task. The big motors seem to like the nitrous. We hoped to go 3s with Brians 762 but never went better than 4.08 with it but never got to use the 3rd system either. Keep us posted and best of luck with the new combo.

·
Registered
354 Posts
What a beast. RM builds a great engine and sounds like the driver is certainly up to the task. How far east do you guys venture ? Good luck this season and be safe.

bg

·
Premium Member
9,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We run a converter. I'm too old to be doing all that clutch maintenance any more. The technology today has brought the performance gap between a clutch & converter a lot closer than it used to be.

We venture as far East as Salt Lake, North to Edmonton AB, Canada, South to Las Vegas, so a fairly good sized geographical patch.

Yes, pump gas to the tune of $21 a gallon. :eek: I buy it by the drum and pump it at home.

·
Registered
238 Posts
We run a converter. I'm too old to be doing all that clutch maintenance any more. The technology today has brought the performance gap between a clutch & converter a lot closer than it used to be.
Agree 110%. Our lock-up stuff has closed the gap completely. Converter drive or 'glide?

Awesome, awesome combination BTW.:)

·
Premium Member
9,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
We run a Rossler TurboGlide XHD. It's a 2 speed T400 that's got all kind of 1 off type internals with a 1.57 1st gear. It's been bullet proof in the last 3 years we've had it. We run Amsoil Compressor Oil in it and the converter which has really worked out well with lower temps and zero parts failures, even with a stock pan. The other thing I like about it is no smell.

Yvonne has been driving for 20+ years so does a great job of driving and certainly isn't intimidated with the speeds. Yeah, she's pretty cool and is a great Mom for our two kids too. My step daughter has been racing Jr. Dragster the past two years and my 4 year old son has been around racing since he was born.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts