Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what a joke this is,had collector plates on my car when i left bc,just went through the inspection and failed miserably,,no spare tire fail, heater not working fail..exhaust touching frame fail,, this car is in better shape than half the cars in alberta,so now i need about 1500 bucks worth of work and a whole bunch of time i don't have,,so pissed. looks like i'm buyin a car cover and this summer is a rite off

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
Didn't these cars come without heaters, and why not throw a spare in and tweak the exhaust? Once you get it passed you should be good to go, sounds like someone got a new badge!:eek:

·
14,003 Posts
Having B.C. collector plates doesn't have any bearing on Alberta or any other province's inspection, because there is no safety or mechanical inspection to get them. My perfectly restored L79 failed the B.C. inspection when it came from Ontario....headlamps not aimed properly, inoperative windshield washer, wrong size wiper blades and brakes out of adjustment. Granted, those items didn't add up to $1500, but it's still annoying.
Incidentally, some of the cars currently carrying B.C. collector plates wouldn't keep them if they had to re-qualify today. I got mine for the 63 SS in 1991. I renew year after year and nobody has ever asked to see current pics or inspect the car. Some folks have taken advantage of this and are driving junk around with collector plates obtained over 20 years ago.

Bob

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ya it came with heater but the switch is broken so i have to track one of those down,it needs some front end work like a drag link,just a little ridiculous when have the cars out here are rusted to sh$%, i know it needs to road worthy and thats fine but when the guy shows me a nick in a power steering line and says thats a fail i just laughed,,it's 40 freakin years old!

·
Registered
914 Posts
Was this an independent shop or someone like Canadian Tire? If your pick was #2 then go to your local hot rod shop and ask them who inspects their cars. I have found those guys are more concerned with the actual roadworthyness of the car and less about things like the heater. I got my guy to set the headlights right there as part of the inspection.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ya i thought that too,i took it to a reputable hot rod shop out here thinking that they might be a little more leanient but that was not the case,in fact i had to listen to some punk inspector list off every little detail that he didn't like about my car,as if i wanted to know what it was going to take to totally restore my car,,didn't like my plug wire routing,or how my trans lines were run,didn't like my horn cap,thought my wireing under the dash was a little messy..i was like dude it's my car i know what it needs ,he had two full pages of crap,i was offended to say the least,definately took the jam out of my donut,now it is looking like it will sit for the summer cause i'm out of cash and patience!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
Holy smokes, I'm glad I worked in the field and still have friends to help me. In Ontario we have a Safety Certificate that a car change ownership or coming into Ontario must pass before you can acquire new plates on put it on the road. It is about mechanical safety and pretty much everything on the car must function, but the heater would not be a concern and oddly enough it can be done with no engine or transmission!:turn: Things like suspension, steering, brakes, body, lights, glass, are the concern. The cosmetic appearance has no bearing on it road worthiness. Even the windshield can be cracked as long as it's not in the driver's wiper area, this needs updating though with the introduction of air bags, but I have no interest in trying to pass that bill!:rolleyes::no:

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ya i remember the good ol days when i had a "guy" that could get it passed for a little cash....anybody know a "guy" that could help a brother out in calgary!

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
Verrrry Interesting !!

First, this is only my 2 cents (Cdn) !! I agree with what Bob said. What people do not realize is that when they are involved in an acident, ICBC will first look at any deviation from stock (after market sterios in trunk or glovebox) chrome goodies under the hood..etc, etc) They will consider it a contract "breach" and you will........ POOF, have zero insurance!!!!!!

Ric

·
Registered
996 Posts
rather live in ca and worry about smog laws than have to have a heater in my car to make it legal. :turn:

·
14,003 Posts
The way it was explained to me when I had my Ontario L79 inspected in B.C. was if something was installed in the car it had to work. My car had no fluid in the windshield washer, so they couldn't test it. I told them it was an option and many cars didn't even have windshield washers in 1966. That didn't matter. It was installed in the car and had to work, so I went and bought fluid. Same with seatbelts. If they're in the car, the latches have to work properly and the belts have to be in good condition. Two speed wipers, too. They have to work on both speeds. I agree though that a heater is hardly a safety issue, but I've been in Calgary in the winter:eek::eek:.

Bob

·
Registered
509 Posts
wow, sounds like the guys in calgary are a little uptight!! i am a licensed inspector in alberta and i would never fail it for most things you mentioned. the blower should work just because it will keep your windshield from fogging up. other than that i look at things that are a safety concern....such as front end, brakes, rusty frames/floors etc. i know its a long drive but if you feel like heading up to the edson area i bet we can get you goin.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i will keep that in mind...whats to stop me from putting an ugly old crappy tire plug in fan on the dash to pass inspection and then take it off,,and whats up with the spare tire being a safety concern??

·
Registered
914 Posts
wow, sounds like the guys in calgary are a little uptight!! i am a licensed inspector in alberta and i would never fail it for most things you mentioned. the blower should work just because it will keep your windshield from fogging up. other than that i look at things that are a safety concern....such as front end, brakes, rusty frames/floors etc. i know its a long drive but if you feel like heading up to the edson area i bet we can get you goin.
That sounds like it may be worth the drive/trailer. Send him a copy of your inspection and see what he thinks. We're already inti July. Snow comes to Calgary in August dosen't it lol.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Inspections

Cranker, you have my and everyone else's sympathy on this.:yes:

How many times has a car guy had some person in a repair shop, etc. tell you all of the things wrong with your car and what all it needs???:(

Like you don't know your own car for that matter, jeeeebonelly!!
That gets old quick.:mad:

Here in the states in Louisiana it is different, thank goodness.
Motor vehicles 40 years or older and which are used primarily for exhibition in shows, parades, tours, and not for general transportation are exempt from obtaining a motor vehicle inspection.
Section IV Motor Vehicle Registration Requirements
Number 112.00, Effective: 11/01/2002, Revised: 02/26/2003
Louisiana Department of Public Safety, Office of Motor Vehicles

Could Calgary and other provinces get their legislative government to pass something like this and give a break to collector car owners with vehicles 40 years or older???

I still have my 69 Camaro inspected anyway to keep local police, who are ignorant of this law, off of my back. I do carry a copy of this law in my car to shows for other car enthusiasts to see and inform them about it.

FYI
69camaro:D

·
14,003 Posts
Here in the states in Louisiana it is different, thank goodness.
Motor vehicles 40 years or older and which are used primarily for exhibition in shows, parades, tours, and not for general transportation are exempt from obtaining a motor vehicle inspection.
Could Calgary and other provinces get their legislative government to pass something like this and give a break to collector car owners with vehicles 40 years or older???
69camaro:D
In B.C., if you live here and purchase any car from out of province it has to be inspected before you can licence it. Same if you move here from out of province. When it's time to licence your vehicles in B.C., they have to be inspected. These inspections only take place once. I think Alberta may be the same.

Bob

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ya it's the same in alberta,i bought my pos 07 silverado in calgary drove it in calgary for 4 months moved back to bc had to get a out of province...with 3000km on it,stayed in bc for 6 months moved back to alberta,,,an yep another out of province inspection...just a cash grab

·
Registered
509 Posts
I agree it is mainly a cash grab but at the same time it does get some of the real clunkers off the road. i could really care less that it doesnt have a spare, but im not going to advertise what i would turn a blind eye to. the inspection is a neccessity unfortunately so you cant really fudge it to much, but a little common sense goes a long way. if you were to fax me a copy of your last inspection i could tell you what really needs fixed. my big issue is front end and brakes...very little room for movement in these areas. just let me know if i can help, i used to work with a guy that really liked to fail cars and it pi$$es me off!!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I just gave my neighbor an inspection place here in Calgary as he just moved here from the US. He had 4 cars that needed inspection and all passed. He said they just looked over the car but nothing compared to Canadian Tires 4 page booklet. He said he'll pass cars as long as their safe. PM me and I'll look for his number for ya if you want.

Mark

1 - 20 of 20 Posts